Help! Can't Boot from CD on Acer Aspire 1800

Solved/Closed
kayland Posts 3 Registration date Friday September 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2009 - Sep 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM
 Mr no boot - Mar 2, 2011 at 05:03 AM
Hello,
I want to reformat an acer aspire 1800. the 1st problem when the system boots up is starts checking files & folders on partition "D" and it takes a day or more to complete the scan; then it keeps its takes another day or more to load the personal settings which I just stop after 1 day because it was still loading. It's very very slow. I shut down the pc and put the recovery cd in but the system goes back to the same scan screen again. It doesn't boot from the cd so I can't reformat the drive. How do I get it to boot from the cd-rom. I went into setup to change the boot sequence to boot from cd 1st but cd isn't listed as a boot option. It has HDD, ODD, USB, PCI LAN as boot options to select from in that order.
Related:

2 responses

nomadcrys Posts 195 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2010 48
Sep 19, 2009 at 02:39 PM
This is definitely a big problem...

1. Maybe your cd-drive is dead
2. Or you have a lot a data on your drives
3. Or your HDD is getting old
kayland Posts 3 Registration date Friday September 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2009
Sep 19, 2009 at 02:59 PM
Yes, the "c" drive is packed. Everything has been going to the "c" drive. I tried deleting some of the files and moving the rest but the "C" is full of system updates.

How can I get it to boot from a cd? and can I wipe the complete drive, both partitions and reinstall the os on a single partition?
Liam > kayland Posts 3 Registration date Friday September 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2009
Nov 13, 2009 at 07:16 AM
You may have a recovery console built into your system. when you switch your computer on, keep pressing alt and F10 and you should be directed to it. If not You could get a bootable copy of 'Super F-disk' and burn it to CD. Your computer will probably be able to boot from that because it is a very simple program. then, with that, you can format your hard drive or delete any partitions or whatever. after this you should be able to go back and install windows.
Jetsada > Liam
Jan 29, 2010 at 03:55 AM
Liam, you are a legend! Spent hours trying different cds, trying to recover the machine in the rc console etc. Why this information isn't documented elsewhere I don't know!!

Thanks a lot!!
Stephanie > Liam
Feb 1, 2010 at 08:25 PM
AWESOME ADVICE! I have been fighting with this machine for days!!!! Thank you.
op cant boot
You rock Liam!