My computer turns itself off when...

Closed
diamid - Sep 16, 2009 at 09:18 AM
 Metsy - Dec 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Hello,

I have a problem whit my computer that I do not know how to fix. Some days ago my graf-card died and I was forced to buy a new one. It came down to GeForce GTX 285 XXX from XfX. But when installed and every thing looked like heaven itself, it turned into hell.

When using my computer to surf on the internett or play games like Battlefield 2, Eve-online etc it works fine. But when I try to play Assassins Creed, Crysis or Call of duty 4 the computer turned itself off like some one pushing a light swich. No bluescreen, no logging off message... just the empty black screen.

To fix this I tried to flash the Bios and update it. I tried to reinstall the graf-card drivers and also to remove some of the HD to free W from the PSU. When I first tried removing the HD, Crysis worked fine untill 5 min into the game, and the computer turned itself off again.

I talked to the local shop, and they have taken a look, but did not find anything wrong. I hate to send my computer back to the shop so I'm hoping to get some help here. All the games I have worked fine on the old graf-card a GeForce 8800 GTX.

My computer is a self-made one from 2007. (My friends and I think that my PSU have seen it's best days and is not giving out 750W anymore, and that I currently are running the computer almost at the PSU max output. So when ever I try to play a game the new graf-card needs more power and therfor the computer turns itself off)

But do anyone els have a better idee?

PSU: 750W
Motherbord: ASUS P5N32-E SLI Pluss
Ram: 3 GB Ram
Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
Graf-card: XfX GeForce GTX 285 XXX
hardrives x 4
Fan x 3
Operating System Windows XP Pro Service pack 3
Cabinet T40 with a front display
8 USB ports.

9 responses

dude
we have a same problem my computer to shut off without warning if i play pc games especially 3d games and watching vids... I dont know whats the problem. but i surfing in net it not shut off... Please help me dude...
Hey guys, I found the answer to my problem. I bought a new power supply, 850W. Now working fine!
Borderlands Man
Jan 14, 2010 at 05:44 PM
that happens to me when i play borderlands, i get 15 mins into the game then screen says 'no signal' and shuts down, but for some reason it doesnt turn off or anything when i play Call of Duty 6
Well i'm glad its not my computer...so anyway to fix it?
borderlandsdude
Mar 10, 2010 at 02:44 PM
yea my computer shuts itself down too but i can only play 3 minutes and 50-60 seconds
We got the same problem. Damn it. I play Audition Dance Battle Online and after a while it shuts down by itself and says NO SIGNAL. And gaaad! It's so hard to start again! After I click "Start windows normally" or the thing that's recommended about fixing it by the windows startup, it still keeps on shutting down by itself 'til I lose my patience. :(
I bought a new powersupply. I testet my old one and it was putting out only 75% of what It should have done. So I a new and to powerfull one was instaled. Problem fixed

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
can u tell me how much hard disk u r using? and can u tell me how mush Assassins Creed, Crysis will be takes i thinks in u games have some virus files check it and after unstall and again reinstall k
My Power Source Is 480W at the moment and im thinking of buying a 750W power source so i will tell you what happens
my power source is 1000w and i have the same problem
My power suply is 1000W, ram is 9000, gaming ram, Computer itself is quad i7 chip, mother board is a gaming board, and yet I have the same problem. The only thing I don't know is the over heating. I wonder if that causes it.
I Try To Play Anything , Even Downloaded Online Games
AND BOOM, my computer has blacked out, it is still running but the screen just says

NO SIGNAL INPUT
Ok so there are a number of things that can cause this unexpected shut down
and you metioned that you were playing games. Its most likely that the computer
doesn't have the right graphic card or depending on the operating system the game
is simply to much for the computer to handle
Blocked Profile
Sep 18, 2010 at 04:29 AM
Hello,

The problem might b sourcing from different issues, please check whether it is coming from its RAM slot, motherboard, graphic card or the power supplying unit. Also indicate whether it is not simply coming from overheating issues.

Thanks in advance.