Fn key type numbers and symbols instead

Solved/Closed
trip - Jul 22, 2008 at 08:24 PM
 IT - Feb 21, 2019 at 05:51 AM
Hello,
the 'Fn' key make me type numbers and symbols instead of letters when I want to.
However, it looks as if the 'Fn' key was stucked.
I can't type the 'i', 'u', 'o', and 'p'. All I get are numbers and symbols.
How do you reset the 'Fn' key? I have tried restarting the laptop with no avail.
Actually is my wife's Gateway laptop.
Any suggestions?
Related:

33 responses

Thank you so much...... "fn+num lk" combination worked in my HP Laptop........:)
hit FN + Scroll
Hold function key and press NumLock/PadLock to release the function and get the normal mode
This is due to the fact that the digital lock is activated.
To solve this, simply press the Fn+Numlk or depending of the model, press the button or Fn + Shift +Numlk
On an IBM Thinkpad, you must press Shift + Scroll Lock Num

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
my LBM works on shift+NumLk, so I can switch back and forth on numbers and letters.
Hello,
You can also try : FN+NumLk
Kay bye!
OMG SACABOUFFLE THANK YOU SOO MUCH, I had the same problem as the original person did and I was getting p.o.ed with what was going on, thank you for not saying " go to dell,, etc etc" and getting to point. thank you!
hey I have the same problem however I haven managed to get it working with either of the short cuts menioned any other idea's laptop is a vaio
please help
Hey I have a VAIO too, and ran into the same problem. The solution is to touch the Fn key and the NumLk/Scr Lk key at exactly the same time. I was having trouble because I was touching Fn then NumLk which didn't work either. Hope that helps.
tim > jellyroll
May 9, 2009 at 04:52 PM
This works. I had tried every combination of Fn, num lock, scroll lock etc. but pushing simultaneously worked. Thanks a true lifesaver. This is what makes forums so valuable. That sharing of hard won information.
Fn key with NumLk/Scr Lk really works man. Thanks a lot for helping me to get rid of this problem.
omg I was racking my brain out cos I connected this stupid key board to my lap top and when I unplugged the usb keyboard my normalkey board wasn't working... this really is helpful guys.. thanks
thx guys the NumbLk workd! all the video games I played I had to hold the Fn key down this rly helpdthx guys
courtneyrae014
Jan 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM
WOW! THAT WAS A HUGE HELP!...i thought my friends screwed with my computer and messed it up! but the numlk really helped! thanks so much♥
Thank you so much the Fn+ Num lk key really worked.
You guys need to work for Dell, I did a live chat 2 and one told me to remove my battery and unplug the adapter, the other fool did a goassist and sign on to my computer and reinstalled my keyboard drivers. THEY WERE TOTALL USELESS, I could not help but tell them. THANK YOU THANK YOU. I spent hours trying to figure this out!
fn confused person
Nov 17, 2008 at 07:27 PM
thank youuuu!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D