Svchost error 0xc000009c

Closed
tennisnut - Jul 17, 2008 at 02:34 PM
 loregazer - May 20, 2009 at 05:50 PM
Hi, I recently started having trouble starting up Windows XP. I was away for a week, and when I came back and started up my computer, it came up with an error message at the login screen. It's an svchost.exe error saying that required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0xc000009c". Since I've been getting these errors, my computer has been very slow logging in, and I have not had sound or been able to access our wireless network.

I've tried many things, but so far none of them has worked. It just keeps doing the same thing at startup. It seems that the only reliable solution I've seen is to buy a registry cleaner for $30 or so, but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to. Has anyone else had this error and knows how to fix it? If it helps, my computer has also been notifying me that there are updates available for Windows XP (including SP3, and some security updates) and Symantec Antivirus, but I haven't been able to because I can't get on the Internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Sean

3 responses

How did you fix it. I can't seem to find any help. I get an erroe message about svchost.exe and I also can't get on the internet. Thanks, Macwoody.
Hey, thanks. I appreciate all the help......

I fixed it in case anyone else is having the same problem. (Thanks to some other forum for the answer) You do need to do a repair install of Windows to fix it. Should be pretty painless as long as you can find an XP disc.

Also, it seems that some registry cleaners may fix it, but they run about $30.
Disabling the server does nothing for me...