Volume icon has dissapeared from my taskbar

Solved/Closed
shalz - Aug 29, 2009 at 08:34 AM
 anany. - Jul 16, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Hello, the volume icon has dissapeared from the taskbar, when I try to get it back an error message comes up saying: Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed.To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Is there any way I can get it back, Many Thanks!
Related:

5 responses

Running XP Home (SP3)

Problem :
Lost Sound Icon in System Tray
Played Some sounds and Not Others
Some sound in WMP, no sound on UTube or other apps.
No Start Up/Log Off Default Sound
No Alert Sounds

For the last 2 days I have searched the web trying to find a solution to this problem. I have updated drivers, ripped the soundvol.exe file out of the XP Disc, tried numerous other tweaks and finally I have found a solution that actually worked.

When I opened the Drivers32 Regestry Key in regedit, I noticed there was only 1 value and I could not alter or open it. This Registry entry should have a good number of driver value entries in it such as midimapper, wavemapper etc but they were not there. Therefore I realised I needed to alter the permissions to this key and try to reconfigure what I thought were my lost drivers.

However I realised they were not lost but instead a malicious script had altered the permissions making the registry entry look empty. I simply removed the permissions the malware added and the drivers all re-appeared as soon as I closed the permissions box.

Solution:
Open the Registry : Start, Run, enter "regedit", click ok.
In Registry - Navigate to Drivers32 key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Drivers32

Right click on the Drivers32 Registry Folder, then click on "Permissions".

Remove all the permissions for Drivers32 for ALL users and then press "Apply". You will see that all the drivers, codecs etc for Drivers32 will re-appear.

Reboot and your system will have all its sounds back. I was so relieved when I turned the system off to hear the defeault log off sound nice and loud. As the system started again I was more relieved to hear the start up sound also. Now all my sound programs are working again and all the sounds that were lost are now back.

I am sure this will help all those out there who were as frustrated with this as I was.

Lithers
OMG THANKYOU Lithers!!!!!!!

I have been searching for this fix for weeks!!

Your a genius!!! :)
0mg thankyou your the only one that has actually helped me find my audio device malware stole mine too.....
You really are a genius! Thanx
Here is some info. I borrowed from another site.

Don't you hate it when need to adjust the volume on your computer only to find that the icon is missing from your task bar? Here's a quick tip that I thought I would write since it happens to me all the time! The process for getting back your volume icon is not very complicated, so here it goes!

First, click on Start and then Control Panel to get to the computer settings:

Next, click on the Sounds and Audio Devices icon in the Control Panel. If you don't see the icon, you may be in Category View. Switch to Classic View by clicking the first option at the top left.

Personally, I like Classic View better since it's easier to get to what you want quickly. Once you open the dialog, you should already be on the Volume tab.

You'll notice the "Place volume icon in the task-bar" option is either checked or unchecked. If it's already checked and the icon is not showing up, you need to un-check the box, and then click Apply. Re-check the box and then click Apply again. Now your icon should appear in the task-bar.

That's it! Sometimes this happens a lot, especially after you restart your computer or log off. If It it keeps disappearing over and over again, you need to update the driver for your sound card. You can do this by going to the computer manufacturer's web site and downloading it from there, i.e. Dell support, etc.
Great, it's a simple solution... and it worked for me. Thanks much for your help!!
good job. thanks
rajputz Posts 1 Registration date Friday August 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 29, 2009 1
Aug 29, 2009 at 09:00 AM
Particularly in your type of case we just had a hit and try method that we can use to bring back the sound driver and volume icon in the taskbar....

1. the first hit and try method that you can use is "remove the audio drivers from your add/remove programs" - if it is not there then remove the audio drivers from device manager. right click my computer>hardware tab>device manager> under sounds remove all the sound drivers
2. Restart the computer.
3. install the drivers mannually from setup again. get them from hardware site of sound card. or install them through found new hardware wizard. any one you feel easy.
restart the computer again.

check the sound and audio devices again and checkmark the "place volume icon in taskbar"

i think it should work for you. if not tell me...i will suggest some thing else....
Hi

i think i've deleted the volume control program on my laptop. I was trying to delete stuff to make it faster but think i've messed it up, also the cd burner has disappearred. can you help?

Many thanks,

Sophi
Shalz > Sophi
Nov 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM
Well hello Sophie, I'm not a computer genius, but I hope this helps:

1.If you go to the start button and click on 'Control Panel', you will see a list of different options.

2.Click on the button that says Audio or Sound devices.

3.And the window will open and there will be 2 tick boxes.

4. If there isn't no click in the box where it says 'Place volume icon in task bar.' Just click the box & when your done click on apply and then OK.

And hopefully the icon will appear =)
rajputz > Sophi
Nov 16, 2009 at 09:40 PM
if you have deleted the files in the windows folder...then u should try repairing your windows installation via Windows CD/DVD. when the window boots through cd/dvd, their is option when windows search for previous version of windows. Select the previous windows version searched and simply pressing enter will start repairing the windows.

if their is some thing else then try the following steps: -

1.If you go to the start button and click on 'Control Panel', you will see a list of different options.

2.Click on the button that says Audio or Sound devices.

3.And the window will open and there will be 2 tick boxes.

4. If there isn't no click in the box where it says 'Place volume icon in task bar.' Just click the box & when your done click on apply and then OK.

And hopefully the icon will appear =)

else if it doesnt work too...then uninstall the audio driver from uninstall program. then restart the pc and install the audio drivers again. after that repeat the above steps again. hope full the sound will come back.

and so as for dvd burner icon. if it is deleted via some windows folder file then u will have to repair the windows from windows cd/dvd. but if it is some control issue then

startmenu>right click on my computer>manage> and new windows open>select diskmanagement under stoarge tree>

you will see all your drives including cddvd there only if there is no problem with the system files i.e u havent deleted them.

now
right click on cdrom or dvd rom(whatever in your case) >change drive letter and paths>if the change icon appears then change it other wise click on add and select whatever drive name u want to add>finish.

restart the pc once

note: - on the contrary for safe side so that u dont get confused which one is ur drive... remove all the virtual drives that u have mounted through various software like daemon tool, nero, alcohol etc.

some times in vista or 7 window the removable devices get hidden. check if its there and u cant find it....:)
jillian > Shalz
Feb 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM
hi, I wanted to tell you that in my control pannel there wasnt a audio or sound one so what do I do now?
rajputz

i had lose the sound controler from my computer, so now I got it by yours comments.

Thanks a lot

regards,....

S.M.Rashed
Thx for all :) it's works great :)
Sebastiii.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i have same problem for lost volum control icon I see your solution than fallow by stap than comes report to instal volum control program now what can I do? plz get a solution.