Ask a question Report

Computer beeps when I turn my computer on [Solved/Closed]

whiz55 - Latest answer on Dec 10, 2012 10:25AM
Hello,
after I turn the computer on the monitor stays blank the fans stay on and the computer just beeps. Help?
Read more 
Answer
+252
moins plus
can i ask if how many beeps?

if 1 beep its - video card
if 2 to 3 beeps - RAM
if it beeps continuously - it the processor

REMEDY / SOLUTION :
1. (VIDEO CARD)- remove the video card clean it up... you can use eraser...make sure to remove the dust/lint .....

2. (RAM)- If the problem is the ram ... its the same.. remove the ram clean it..the same as you clean the video card...but if you put back the ram to the slot...make it sure to lock it up and tighten up..just monitor it that its not loosen...

3. (PROCESSOR) - remove the processor ... clean the white one i mean the paste
(thermal paste) then if you don't have that paste try to ask the hardware im sure they have one and grab it... don't leave the processor if it is not attach in the slot make sure to have that paste first it has time limit in exposing the processor it may cause a problem if the processor wont put back int the slot.. <the main solution is change the thermal paste then lock it up tightly.. the most important thing is just...lock it up so tight..>

that all...

this is only my suggestions ....

i hope it helps....

if there's something you can ask email me:
Email Id's removed for security

codename: anak ni cocoy..

if theres any comment well.... ill take it as a pleasure...thanks

jay- Nov 11, 2012 10:02AM
What if I have six beeps
paula- Nov 12, 2012 07:16PM
thank u for a simple solution. you saved the day
adam- Nov 16, 2012 11:00PM
i have six beeps too. any suggestions?
devinmat- Nov 29, 2012 12:48PM
Thanks for the info so far but mine holds a solid beeeeppp at startup, is that the same a one beep?
Bulok ka- Dec 10, 2012 10:25AM
six beep = continuous beep....
Answer
+37
moins plus
Yeah, I have seen the exact the same thing. I took out every removable card from my computer and blew the dust off and re-installed it. When I started up the computer, the problem had dissapeared. It was a dust particle somewhere in the connection of one of my cards or a card that had somehow came loose. Either way it works fine now. Dust around the processor can cause overheating also. This will cause beeping. Make sure the processor and memory is seated correctly. The tabs on the sides of the memory should lock. If not then it needs to be taken out and reseated.

Eric in Raleigh- Apr 6, 2010 09:26PM
Thank you for this recommendation - my Dell desktop gave me the "blue screen of death", and would not re-start, only my ominous beeping sounds before shutting down despite letting it sit overnight. After merely taking of the cover (unplugging first), repeatedy blowing off dust and "fiddling" with the connections (and pluggin it back in)...and good as new.
anonymous- Apr 13, 2010 03:54AM
thx dusty, i blew the dust off and it's working again :)
geobidden- Apr 18, 2010 03:20AM
yello am geobidden but thanks for your solutions.i just removed one RAM stick and testes each at ago using the bootstrap approach and now my machine is working very well greet Email Id removed for security
dusty- May 21, 2010 10:50AM
I tried this solution and booted it and it still beeped
Cardemen- Jun 6, 2010 01:42AM
mine is a long beep then it says "going to sleep"!
Answer
+24
moins plus
I had the same problem I just slammed the pc and I swear it works now hehe

lololol- Jun 6, 2009 10:16AM
dude lol i have to sticks of ram in my comp and it wasnt working and i just stick one out and boom it worked lol and i was like 3 days trying to figured out lol and i slammed to well i slap it llike a bitch but now it got worst XD
theyfloatdownhere666- Jan 7, 2010 02:45PM
yeah i beat the crap out of mine and it boots back up its a pain in the butt
Ank ni cocoy- Jun 17, 2010 07:31AM
Slamming your...Computer..is a stupid way of fixing....LOLS even the technician wont implement that kind of suggestion..... it only happen that there is a shock between the memory and the slots .... that cause the problem to solve......
Answer
+12
moins plus
Its been a while since the original post but this reply is for those who may not have succeeded trying other suggestions listed here.

Condition: CPU beeps in a certain order; monitor stays blank; only fan running.

Remedy:
Unplug computer and detach all external cables.
Detach all removable parts from the motherboard including and specially RAM.
Clean out as much dust/dirt/lint as possible with a hose attached to a vaccuum cleaner.
Next, blow with a hair dryer maintaining a distance of at least 1-2 feet.
Connect all devices as before.
Make sure you put the RAM in properly.

If the above doesn't help, note the order of beeps and compare it to the 'beep chart' at http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Answer
+11
moins plus
Answer
+6
moins plus
I have just had the same problem.

My wife complained "It just keeps bleeping constantly"

Unlike all the other proposed solutions, I started by pulling plugs out of the whining thing. As soon as I pulled the keyboard plug out, it stopped.

Then I discovered that the keyboard had seriously wet itself underneath with a substantial amount of coffee. It was nice and clean and dry on top.

This proves that computers, babies and the fair sex have something in common.

regards, mike

azhar- Oct 31, 2009 10:36AM
yeah i have the same problem but in my hp laptop, when i open it for the first time it beeps for three times repeatedly but then it stops and the screen never opens (it is totally dim), but then you can hear the log on to windows so please tell me what it might be?
pseudonym- Nov 3, 2009 07:10AM
geta new video card
Ank ni cocoy- Jun 17, 2010 07:27AM
open your laptop and try to remove the memory and clean it, you can use eraser..then put it back ....make it sure that you lock it up so tightly then....we will see the result....

its just only my suggestion...i hope it helps... ^^

add me on facebook -Email id removed for security
Answer
+5
moins plus
Thank you so very much!!!! I have been working on my sister's computer all night and couldn't figure it out.
I appreciate the comment about the ram. That was the problem.
Thank you to all of you for posting your solutions here.

Answer
+5
moins plus
if your computer beeps when you start your computer it means your computer has been over heated during the last session or the internal battery of the computer just beside the processor needs to be changed. the battery acts as a switch, without it you cannot start your pc.if the computer has been overheated then open your CPU AND DUST IT WELL. AND IF IT DOESN'T WORK THEN TRY TO CHANGE THE BATTERY OF YOUR COMPUTER.

IT WILL REALLY WORK.

Answer
+4
moins plus
Ok, i was having the same problem the first guy was having, but unfortunatly, doing all the reccommended things didnt fix it. Im going to reinstal windows and hope that fixes it. Before it pulled this little stunt, it wouldnt turn off, what could the problem be there?

Answer
+3
moins plus
their not long their just short beeps and i won't stop

Answer
+3
moins plus
My computer comes on after a 1 min it turn off. it says somthing about atomatic turn off efore i can click on it, it turn off? what shall i do?

ashish- Dec 28, 2008 06:02AM
dear sometimes this roblems come after currupting your operating system through virus etc. so as i think if u reinstall your operating system(windows XP) then it can be solved.....
erick- Jan 4, 2009 01:10PM
hello,
i opened my processor its AMD and i put it back together excactly how it was and now the fans and everything turn on fine but nothing shows on the screen!!!
HELP!!!!!!!
Sandeep 89Posts Friday October 10, 2008Registration date July 5, 2012Last seen - Jan 13, 2009 06:47AM
if nothing is working then just check if your display cable is proper or not.[connect with monitor & CPU...u know ofcourse]
Answer
+3
moins plus
be glad you have a beep. I overheated my computer and the next morning it acts like everything is just fine with one exception : the monitor will not start. (yes ive changed everything from power sypply to monitor- including cpu)-lol

Answer
+3
moins plus
I've just had the same problem. I've slammed it but it didn't helped :D The problem dissappeared just like that O.o. I was watching Sabrina. Do u thing it has something to do with it :D

skunk- May 21, 2009 02:48PM
Hi i just brought some new ram to upgrade it i had ddr 512mb in an i brought a ddr2 1gb i have been told that this shud work as they both are ddr but when i have the ddr2 1gb one it my monitor goes on standby and comes up with 1 input signal can anyone help
tate- May 23, 2009 01:20AM
ddr and ddr2 aren't interchangeable, they have a different number of pins for the connection, so if ddr2 fit in your ddr slot then you must have forced it
If your computer uses DDR ram then you must only buy ddr
NOT ddr2
Answer
+3
moins plus
OMG your all my hero!!!! for months I have been having this problem on and off, I thought it was a short in the wiring that is guess where? right next to my memory sticks. Took them out and found some dust. Now no noise. Thank you and my back and knees thank you also

Answer
+3
moins plus
i recentaly had the same problem after cleaning my pc.
after messing around i rememberd that i removed a wireless network adapter out of the pci slot because i wasent useing it, and i put it back in and the computer booted up perfectly.

so if you have removed anything i recommend putting it back...

Answer
+3
moins plus
just had the same problem, computer justs bleeps 3 times every few seconds and wont switch on, fan runs, but the screen is blank. very sceptical about the dust problem but i thought id give it go before going to pc world.
pulled pc out from under desk and all the air vents were full of dust and fluff, used hoover to clean it, took the side of and gently hooverd inside where it was dusty, put it back togetther, plug it all back in and it worked.
Amazing! thanks everyone on here.

tina- May 23, 2010 04:47PM
thanks everyone!!! just tried to turn my pc on and would only give me a blank screen and a continuous beep... looked inside and found alot of dusk cleaned it out now it works thanks again!!!! :)
Answer
+3
moins plus
Ok, I just had this problem occur with my parents computer
(Short beeps, Black screen)
All I did was clean up the PC of dust, Re-seat CPU/HSF, Ram, PCI cards, GPU, and I reapplied Thermal Compound just for good measure. This worked perfectly. and the computer now runs as it should.
Follow these simple steps, and it should run, If not... Obviously you have another problem.

Answer
+3
moins plus
this happens because of the RAM. You bust refix the RAM.
Email id removed for security if u have doubts

xxx- Jun 25, 2010 08:38PM
He is right
Answer
+3
moins plus
not booting my system,5beep sound only comming.how to salve this problem.pls help me.thankyou

Answer
+2
moins plus
If you can hear long beep,it shows that the RAM is problem,plz check ram anm ram sloat

neha- Jun 30, 2010 09:55AM
yes it must be indeed a ram problem. I had the same prob;em but now my computer works fine!
1 2 Next
This document entitled « computer beeps when I turn my computer on » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.