Sharing documents between two computers

Solved/Closed
sue - Jul 13, 2008 at 06:49 AM
 yuvi - Jun 28, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Hello,
I am having trouble connecting my laptop, which is a dell, and my pc, which is microsoft, together I want to be able to share documents in between the two for my work instead of having to e-mail all the documents to the other computer

2 responses

How to set up a network between two computers?

1. Connect the crossover Ethernet cable to the LAN (RJ45) ports of both the PCs.

PC - 1:

- Go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to A and Workgroup name to ABC and click OK to save changes.
- Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties.
- Enter these values:
IP Address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Leave the other fields blank and click OK to save changes.

PC - 2:

- Go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to B and Workgroup name to ABC and click OK to save changes.
- Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties.
- Enter these values:
IP Address - 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Leave the other fields blank and click OK to save changes.
- - -
After the connections and settings have been saved, both the PCs should be connected by LAN. You may need to restart both the PCs.

You can check if the connection is working by pinging one PC from the other.

For PC-1, Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.2
For PC-2, Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.1

You can view the PCs in My Network Places. You can now use this LAN connection to play multiplayer games or share files. You can also map a drive on another PC to a local drive by using My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive > Select Drive Letter and network path of the shared folder on the other PC
Hello Sam,
thnx for providing such a helpful post.
I need your assistance to set up my home network. Actually I've two PC's & a broad band connection. Now I want to use the Internet from both the PC's also want to play game using the network where. Will you tell me the ways to do the networking using either HUB or Switch or by Router. Considering cost it'll be better for me if I can do the networking using HUB then Switch or then Router as the price of HUB<Switch< Router.

Thanks in advance & waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Sajib.
Email Id removed for security
Thank you very much for your useful post.
It really helped me to connect my PC & laptop.
Thanks.