My iomega ego 500gb won't mount on my mac

Closed
cian - Aug 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM
 rightanswer - Jun 11, 2011 at 04:43 AM
Hello,
my iomega ego 500gb won't mount on my mac after I partitioned it? its just making a noise off and on. what is the problem? thanks. cian
Related:

2 responses

If you hear a faint clicking sound that might be the hard drive is failing.

Other possibilities:

The power supply in the enclosure for the hard drive is failing and not supplying the proper power to the hard drive, and the hard drive keeps resetting itself.

The interface electronics - between the FireWire or USB and the connector to the hard drive - is not reliable and is causing the hard drive to reset itself.

It is highly possible you will lose the data on the drive if you continue to try to access the data.

A computer repair shop that specializes in Macs can remove the hard drive and install it in another enclosure and attempt to access the drive. If they are successful, it might mean the drive is good but the enclosure electronics is bad, and they can copy your data to yet another drive. Or they can install the drive in another enclosure and return it to you. You must then copy the data to CDs and DVDs immediately, because the drive might not be reliable much longer.

If they are not successful, it means the drive is failing, or has failed, and the only way to get your data is to send the drive to a data recovery business - these businesses have extremely clean workrooms where they will open the drive and inspect the mechanical components to see if there is mechanical damage. They have parts from the manufacturer that allows them to replace any damaged part and attempt to copy off the data from the drive platters.

This is very expensive. Hundreds of dollars.
ignore comments by yalease. This completely wrong. The drive is getting insufficient power. It is a design flaw of this drive. Try it on another Mac. Mine works on the iMac but not always on the powerbook
pro-genius Posts 185 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2010 68
Aug 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM
I Think you should check the cables.