A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown ...

Solved/Closed
vatul Posts 2 Registration date Thursday August 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2009 - Updated on Nov 28, 2018 at 12:37 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 19, 2011 at 04:47 AM
Hello,

I use windows xp sp2 on computer and am unable to boot it up successfully. I am at a loss for what to do.

This is what happened. My computer became infected with a nasty virus so I tried to boot up in safe mode using F8. However I got a blue screen with an error message that said:

"A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS ERROR SCREEN RESTART YOUR
COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER. REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS. CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE TO MAKES SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND TERMINATED. RUN CHKDISK /F TO CHECK FOR HARDDRIVE CORRUPTION, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
      • STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7B6D528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0X00000000) "

Every attempt to boot up in safe mode brought me to this screen. I then tried booting in safe mode through msconfig. I still received the blue screen error message. However now I receive it no matter how I start windows. Specifically when I try to boot up I am brought to a black screen with the message stating:

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Configuration
Start Windows Normally"

I tried using last known good configuration as well as booting up normally but ever since I tried booting in safe mode with msconfig everything brings me to the blue screen error message. My best guess is that windows is now stuck in trying to boot up in safe mode but thats based solely on the course of events. I don't have a windows disk, only Microsoft Windows Recovery Console installed. I'm in much need of help and any insight would be very appreciated.
System Configuration: Windows Me!
Firefox 2.0.0.20
Related:

8 responses

I just solved the same problem.
I connected the laptop hdd on another pc via a usb to pata/sata adaptor and perfomed chkdsk.