After start up only wallpaper shows, no icons

Solved
Challanged - Updated on Jul 5, 2017 at 04:19 AM
 Ranjeet - Mar 9, 2023 at 10:00 AM
Hello,

Upon start up only my wallpaper shows. There are no icons, no task bar, no start menu, nothing, just a blank screen other than my wallpaper. When I right click just to get into the desktop, I select display and even that gets no response. Can someone please help me.

Thank you
Related:

70 responses

Wow! I have 3 projects to do tonight...and all of a sudden they were gone. You just saved my butt from hours of searching. Thank you. I found that if you just type in exporer.exe on new task and hit enter, you dont have to restart. Thank you very much
Stryden, thanks for sharing that tip about typing it into "new task". Saved me some time too. Much obliged.
You need to install IE8 back on your PC,
Using someone elses PC (or mac) download IE8 (16meg file) to a memory stick.
Then from your PC started in safe mode (F8 during boot) install IE8, tell it you do not want updates.
Wait for it to finish and restart.

On the next boot select yes you wish to activate and hey presto the activation wizard will start.
run the task manager and then press new task and write : explorer

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
might not work if you have a vga cable hooked up, if you have one connected unconnect it then start your computer
I love you!!!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I say THANK YOU???

thanks a lot

Thank you so much!

creastysomp Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 28, 2023 Status Anonymous Last seen February 9, 2023
Jan 28, 2023 at 05:47 AM

I don't even see explorer.exe in Task Manager/Processes. When I typed in explorer.exe and try running it, it said that could not find/locate the file. However, the explorer.exe file is in C:\WINDOWS\

Thanks .. Problem resolved .. Thank you so much