Ask a question Report

Upon start up only wallpaper shows, no icons [Solved/Closed]

Challanged - Latest answer on Nov 3, 2012 11:29PM
Hello,
Upon start up only my wallpaper shows. There are no icons, no task bar, no start menu, nothing, just a blank screen other than my wallpaper. When I right click just to get into the desktop, I select display and even that gets no response. Can someone please help me.
Thank you
Read more 
Answer
+292
moins plus
CTL+ALT+DEL then click file and new task. then type explorer.exe and press ok

pigga12345- May 17, 2010 06:16PM
you are a god send!! dunno how it worked but it did thank alot buddy!! :)
rafs- Jul 13, 2010 11:07AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nk- Apr 22, 2011 07:21AM
its not working
t- Apr 23, 2011 01:40AM
Thanks man you rock. It worked for me.
HALP- Apr 25, 2011 03:54AM
Your explorer.exe is not running.
Answer
+84
moins plus
Hi regarding about this problem
try this method:
1. Type Regedit on the run task, then located this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Image File Execution Option\Explorer.exe <<<--- Delete this folder if you can see this one or
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Image File Execution Option\Your Image File Name Here without a path <<<<--- Delete this one if you cannot find the Explorer.exe
3. Restart your PC then its ok.

<<Command Prompt>>

Answer
+49
moins plus
Just to let everyone know.... While surfing through the internet I found someone who solved this problem and has a way to fix it. There are 2 registry keys in the registry that are causing the problem. It affects the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe files.

This is the key that needs to be deleted...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

Once these keys are deleted the desktop and internet explorer should come back to life.

Thank you whoever found this information and I hope this will be a benefit to someone else out there.

William_Tinou- Apr 6, 2010 03:32AM
did not work for me, I went to the regedit to find the explorer.exe file but nothing and the problem still.What I did is go to Ctrl+Del / taks manager/file /new task / just type explorer.exe and everything was back to normal . William TINOU GOMA
Nicole- Apr 10, 2010 03:37AM
i can't find them i have too many files to search into in which branch is it :S
please help me ASAP
The_Owl- Apr 14, 2010 12:42AM
William TINOU GOMA .... many thanks you are the best... solved :)
ape- Apr 26, 2010 07:36PM
yay it worked thanks William Tinou Goma
Jjye- Jul 11, 2010 05:54PM
Some one Help me i try doing Ctrl+alt+delete but nothing happens im desperate to use my computer again please help me !!!!
Answer
+24
moins plus
Well good news for me; I have fixed the problem with my machine. After hours of reading blogs and posts and getting different suggesttions from many people I decided to do what I know. I restarted my computer, upon start up I hit F8 to get into the safe mode options. I selected start in safe mode. I then went into control panel, and did a system restore to a date from last month. Once that happened, the comp restarts itself and lo and behold everything was back to normal.

I would give this option a try.

I did many things from creating a new user account, etc etc. and nothing worked. Try the system restore and that should fix the problem.

ryan- Dec 12, 2008 02:35AM
after start up, i login, and only wallpaper appear. have tried your suggestions, F8 and nothing, tried everything, and still nothing
daisey- Jan 18, 2009 06:30PM
Challanged

Tried many things. Your safe mode start and system restore corrected problem

D
pspfan15- Mar 5, 2009 11:32AM
thank you very much u legend
Mines001- Aug 31, 2009 04:05PM
I must thank you!!!! this actually worked!!! i didnt expect it to, because it came off of the internet, but it did!!! Thank You!!!
BSARMA- Dec 15, 2009 01:49AM
Thak you for your quick solution. My VISTA machine had a spyware attack and srating at safe mofe (pressing F8) and then system restore with one day old image fixed the issue!
Answer
+18
moins plus
EVERYONE THERE IS A MUCH EASIER SOLUTION!! I found that i did not have explorer.exe in the registry, and I have the same problem. When i log on, i can only see my wall paper. Here's the solution. Do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete and look in the process tab. click image name to organize it in alphabetical order. you will see explorer.exe somewhere in there. Click it and click End Process at the bottom right. If you do not see explorer.exe then skip this step. Now click the Applications tab and you will see 3 buttons at the bottom called End Task, Switch To, and New Task. Click New Task. A small window will open up that says Create New Task. In the white bar type in explorer.exe and you will have your desktop back. Sadly, you will have to do this every time you log on, if you have a system restore point before this desktop problem, then do a system restore.

KIM FROM OHIO- Apr 7, 2010 08:51PM
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP THIS DEFINATELY WORKED! :)
sandyp- Apr 22, 2010 03:02PM
this might stop working after a few times. it is always better to figure out what process is causing this issue...
Bob- Apr 23, 2010 07:51PM
Works great xD ty
spanishwebguy- Jun 10, 2010 02:45AM
Brilliant - thanks
mkgf- Jul 6, 2010 10:31AM
thanks! that worked!
Answer
+16
moins plus
i just had this same problem....NOTHING WORKED UNTIL--AND IT WAS SOO EZ (i too couldnt find explorer.exe, etc) i did what post 205 said..basically force a restore and ur back immed. then do the superantispyware clean. IM BACK!!!!!! AMEN. THANK YOU WHOEVER POSTED 205.

Answer
+13
moins plus
I had the same problem. It's just some stupid spyware garbage. This is a very simple fix. Just download (HiJackThis) http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

It only took me 10 sec. to do the scan. It will ask you if you want to delete everything, I clicked yes. Just make sure that there are no other programs (including the internet) running. This just make it easier to delete the files encase there running. MAKE SURE YOU RESTART YOU COMPUTER, when it comes back on you will have you lovely computer computing for you again!!!

I understand that nothing is a guarantee, but all I see is people coming up with these crazy answers to solve this problem and their all over thinking it. It's spyware, just spyware. So try my way out its very fast and easy. Feel free to respond with any question I'll be glad to help. Good Luck!!!

ofas- Mar 26, 2010 03:56PM
i can click the link on this computer, but of course not on the computer which needs it . . . because . . . remember? the problem is that nothing will come up to allow clicking on anything.
Gene- Mar 29, 2010 06:13PM
Perfect fix ... thank you! I've been fighting with my computer for a week now. You're a life saver. The Trend-Micro-HiJackThis did the trick.
Kate- Apr 7, 2010 04:28PM
I have the same problem .. only wallpaper on screen .. no icons what-so-ever so how do I download a solution when nothing available to click on.
Kate- Apr 7, 2010 04:47PM
WOW! I just stumbled onto a very easy solution. Turned on pc when the info window appeared (system, set-up etc) just pressed enter it took a few moments, thought I oops! may have done wrong thing it was just a black screen .. then requested my password .. YEAH!! everything came back .. icons .. update windows, email the lot
Kate- Apr 7, 2010 05:05PM
turned laptop off and back on again everything still there ...
Answer
+13
moins plus
You can Ctrl - Alt - Del, and under the Applications tab click "New" and type in "explorer". This will bring up your desktop. You can then try the many suggestions that you have read about.

jolyn- Oct 9, 2008 10:57PM
Thank you so much for ur advise... first thing i tried and it worked.
weatherdog- Jan 14, 2009 09:59PM
Awesome! I messed with this all day unistalling SP3 etc and your "explorer" advice fixed it. Very much appreciated.

JWS
MessedPC- Mar 12, 2009 12:19PM
THANKS MAN IT WORKED NOW I CAN DELETE THIS STUFF ON MY COMPUTER
ARTEM- Dec 28, 2009 07:27PM
Laptop does not respond to CTRL+ALT+DEL at all. It only shows the sand watch (or whatever you call it) for one second and that's it.
pensoc- Jan 20, 2010 12:21PM
Hi there, When i cnt alt and del task manager isnt even on there !! help.
pensox
Answer
+10
moins plus
replying to seymore,

my computer with the problem no taskbar, no icon, Ctl+Alt+Del disable has been solve, after reading some of the post. here's the solutions:

1. log into safe mode with command prompt.
2. in the command prompt:

to enable Task Manager, type in this in 1 line=>
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
to enable Registry Edit, type in this in 1 line =>
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

3. press Ctl+Alt+Del, restart computer
4. to enable explorer autorun, go this web and read => ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.txt
Download the fix...=> ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg
open task manager, File > New Task (Run) > type "shellfix.reg" and press ok

5. Restart. the system should be ok.

If not... continue 1 of the below steps:

1. Repair system by download TweakUI. =>http://download.microsoft.com/...
since taskbar is disable, u have to use Ctl+Alt+Del to run "TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe ", click ok to install
Press Ctl+Alt+Del again > File > New Task > Tweakui
at left panal, choose "Repair" at the last, choose "Rebuild Icons", and click "Repair Now", click "Ok" to exit.
Restart computer.

2. Create New User Account: Press Ctl+Alt+Del, File > New Task > explorer. go to control panel > user accounts and create a new user account. Restart Computer. Log in as the new created user.

3. Use System Restore to go back to the previous days which ur computer functions well.

4. Lastly, u may download "Remove Restrictions Tool" which will solve "folder options disable" and others restrictions problems. download here =>http://www.softpedia.com/...

5. install anti-virus product. (ie. AVG, Avira)

Answer
+9
moins plus
For Windows 7:Take out the white plug at the back of your PC. (from the monitor) There's a blue and a white one on mine. Take out the white one and your icons, your taskbar and anything else you've clicked comes back! Worked for me..does anyone know why?

Answer
+4
moins plus
Ok this is for those of you who can access task manager through the Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Go to the file tab, new task (Run...) and type "explorer.exe" with the quotation marks. If explorer.exe is already there end the process and restart explorer. This should get your desktop and icons back, but keep in mind this is only a temporary fix. I've done research and found that this is a spyware that hijacks your antivirus and uses it to delete files. That means that any other program won't recognize it as a problem. I have at least 10 spyware and antivirus programs, and none have found anything wrong with my computer. I stayed up all night scanning my registry and optimizing my computer until I'm at 100% with everything and that helps allot, but it only last for so long. I would suggest the newest version of Fix-It Utilities. It helps allot, but for those of you who can't access anything I can't help you. Try a system restore or format your hard-drive.

Answer
+4
moins plus
Hi, I found the following at a Windows XP Newsgroup at

http://www.microsoft.com/...

In short, the proposed action plan that worked for him and seems to be
working for me follows. Jay

I read many posts related to the topic and eventually did the following:

1. booted up to windows
2. ctrl+alt+del to get windows task manager
3. File, new task, typed regedit, clicked ok
4. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Image File Execution Options\
5. In there I had an explorer.exe folder that I deleted (you may have an
entry in the root of the Image File folder as well.. delete them also).
6. Rebooted and everything was back to normal.
7. Breathed a sigh of relief.

You can back up the explorer.exe folder (and files in the Image File
Execution Options root if applicable) by exporting them before the deletion
process.

Hopefully this thread will save many people lots of time in the future.
Thanks to everyone for their help and happy new year!
Sean

JR- Jun 21, 2010 10:10PM
Awesome. Worked Great. Thanks.
koolc70- Jun 27, 2010 02:29PM
o man.....this shit was complicated....but thanks to all the ppl who posted advice...very helpful
sjr- Jul 3, 2010 03:07PM
were do itype it?
lol- Jul 3, 2010 03:25PM
i cant find explorer.exe
kay- Jul 3, 2010 09:17PM
My task manager doesn't load up. I tried press ctrl-alt-delete but the task manager doesn't load. Help please.
Answer
+3
moins plus
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

Just went into regedit and removed and I am up and working.

Koodos

That was the ticket. Thank You. Joe

Andrew- Sep 11, 2008 01:48PM
Removing the explorer.exe key from the windowsnt directory in the registry worked perfect for me as well. Windows starts fine now. Run a system scan with your spyware/virus software to make sure all is well once completed.
avinava89 1Posts Sunday November 4, 2012Registration date November 3, 2012Last seen - Nov 3, 2012 11:29PM
well dis is a spy/malwre prob...
and i believe dis is d best possible solution...
TY..
Answer
+2
moins plus
I have the solution. I spent 5 days until I found a solution to this Trojan Virus problem. Each time you boot up and click on one of your software icons ALL the icons and control bar on the bottom of the screen disappear. I tried all the leading anti-virus software and none worked. I got on a Microsoft blog site and kept seeing the same software mentioned as a solution. I used SUPERAntiSpyware 4.21 to clear the Trojan out and then Uniblue "Registry Booster 2" to fix the registry problems caused by the virus.. This Trojan virus is a very difficult virus to kill, but this SUPERAntiSpyware did the trick.

Another unrelated problem that I had on ALL of our computers that Microsoft could not solve, but our staff did.... When we installed SP3 all of our windows xp systems were stuck in a continuous boot-up loop after rebooting. Once we re-booted the system after the SP3 installation the computers were stuck on the "Windows XP graphic" on the screen with a continuous scroll bar. THE SOLUTION: Get rid of all firewire cords on external devices and replace with USB cords if the drive or components can use USB. Windows xp with Service Pack 3 will not boot up completely with firewire cords attached to the computer. Microsoft spent 3 hours trying to solve the problem and finally told me it was a driver problem with WD USB drives. This was not the case.. INCORRECT. Just remove the firewired compents... You do not need any new drivers for you hard drives.

I hope this help someone out there.

Answer
+1
moins plus
The reg edit worked for me, many thanks.

Also, tut tut to the response that suggested "go buy a MAc etc etc." I agree that whilst Macs may suffer from less issues than PCs, this is a forum where people are asking for help with specific problems. "Go buy a Mac" isn't the most constructive advice (isn't really helpful at all!)

Fuckyou- Jul 13, 2010 02:05PM
Macs do not suffer from less issues, there just so bad already they arent worth making viruses for.
Answer
+1
moins plus
went to regedit and deleted the following registry

ran hijackthis after and found some nastys, was a variant of the XP 2008 Antivirus software
had to get spyboat and adaware also on the machine to try tidy it up otherwise it would come back
they was a twest.exe file which was making the reg entry to stop explorer running

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thanks, Last Resort! That registry edit did the trick and saved my bacon!

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thank you so much. After trying all different method the regedit method worked for me perfectly. I have got all the icons back and it is working fine.

Thank you very much for this forum.

Answer
+1
moins plus
how can change time format 24 to 12 bcoz taskbar showing 24 hr and time properties show ed 12 hre

Answer
+0
moins plus
I've had a similar problem, if your computer is windows xp then there is a simple fix.
If your computer fails to show icons and start bar this is because windows explorer has not started for some reason or other. to simply turn this on hit "ctrl+alt+del" to bring up the task manager.

Select file in the top left corner and new task.

Type into the box "explorer" without the quotation marks and you should have your precious icons back, i would then do a scan to see if a virus has caused this.

D- Feb 9, 2009 11:15AM
HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY THIS BEFORE YOU GET IT? THE EXPLORER THING CREATES AN ERROR MESSAGE, GOD ALMIGHTY, READ THE EXTENDED PROBLEMS.
Jules- Mar 20, 2010 11:16AM
I still can't get task manager to come up. I've tried everything!!! HELP!
rhys- Mar 20, 2010 02:05PM
i have same problem...., i deleted some files.. reload computer !!!!!!!!!!! and it says "select "R" at the first screen to start repair...

nothing workeeed !!!!!!!!!!11
tanz- Mar 26, 2010 01:28AM
just go to task manager(cntrl+alt+del) -1 new task
-2browse to c-windows -exporer & delete it
reeeeebooooottttt!!!!!!!!!
andrea- May 6, 2010 06:37AM
same. In my case after the login screen which seems to work fine, the task manager button is gray (can't be pushed).... is there a way to access the PC wthout the task manager and exporer starting up?
Andrea
1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « upon start up only wallpaper shows, no icons » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.