IE 8 and Virus

Closed
Chris - Aug 2, 2009 at 10:45 PM
 Chris - Aug 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM
Hello,
I got IE 8 as a sneaky Windows Update option. Nothing but trouble since. Windows are popping up like crazy and sites open up unbidden. Just started yesterday. Tonight the computer won't let me on: nothing but an unresponsive Boot Menu...which is useless 'cause the keyboard wasn't "on".
Not totally blaming IE8 but Windows Defender for SOME reason was on "OFF". Probably why I got a virus. (I'm using my mom's computer). I hope my HD (AND my external HD!) won't have to be crashed and wiped. All my art and photography are on those....I'm beside myself with worry. I visit virus-safe sites...but NOTHING'S safe anymore. :(

Chris E.
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 3, 2009 at 06:32 AM
Hye there,

It's better you try to restore your system to an earlier time,

Try to access safe mode,
Press F8 when you start the computer,

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Then select a restore point or date when your computer was running normally

Thanks
Thanks for the info and advice. I already did that. No dice. It's erasing my texts in MS Word, and fills any Password or Search bar with xxxxxxxxxx to infinity. And opening every icon on my desktop, plus My Pictures open every file and go crazy. So I shut the computer down. It's at the Microcosm Computer Repair. They think it IS IE8 (which they say NEVER to use...or Firefox) and it might be a "stuck key" on the keyboard.

Hah. Then why was it adding letters to my text, or deleting? Just their opinion. :|

I'm keeping your advice though in case this happens again. I picked a date the computer was running "normal" and it worked for like half a day. And there's no knowing when I picked up this glitch, or where. No knowing at all. :(

Virus makers need to get a life. Seriously. They make our lives Hell. IMO

Chris E.