XP computer crashes before startup

Solved/Closed
mike11298 - Jul 27, 2009 at 05:45 AM
 beara - Nov 17, 2016 at 02:07 PM
HI, I have an XP computer with dual AMD processors on an ASUS A7M266-D server motherboard.
For some reason, the computer starts booting fine, POST all clears, but as soon as the "Windows XP" loading screen starts the computer crashes (pretty much switches itself off).

I have tried different (known working) RAM in varying slots, different video cards, with & without CD drive, with & without accesory PCI cards, and I have also tried two hard drives, but the probelem does not solve or differ.

The computer can't boot in safe mode (or any mode, for that matter) and if I try to re-insall using the XP CD, the computer crashes as soon as "Now starting Windows XP" shows in the bottom bar.

I'm hoping that this isn't a motherboard issue, I'ts seccond-hand but brand new (to me).

If you can suggest something, please do.
Related:

3 responses

Just thought I'd relay my experience with a similar problem I had. I wasn't able to get into windows through regular startup or safe mode, it would just blue screen right after the windows loading screen appeared. Also couldn't get into recovery console through the xp cd, it would also blue screen when loading... So I went into my bios and somehow my SATA HDD mode had been changed from compatibility mode to enhanced mode which apparently doesn't work in my system. Changed it back to compatibility and all is well. I think I cleared my CMOS by mistake so just a suggestion if you're having a similar problem: Check your bios first!
this fixed it for me. cheers man just saved me forking out for a new mobo, that was my next step... to to refresh

check SATAII setting and make sure its at compatable mode
I currently have this same exact issue.
I installed a new sound card and started getting 'niggles' and then it wouldn't boot past the XP logo.
As soon as it should go to user log in it blue screens and goes back to start up.
Tried entering bios to check settings but everything looked fine.... However, you are spot on with this, the SATA HDD was enhanced.... No idea why it changed but it did ... Changed it and now it's back to user friendly.
I was thinking a new cpu or format the whole damn thing and restart.
Glad I read your thread.
Saved me time and money
I had this problem too. Have been looking for a solution for over a week and was about to give up. Went into BIOS and sure enough SATA HDD had been changed. FIXED. Thank you.
I'm posting just to say thank you and let anyone know who is struggling with similar symptoms that this feature is actually just called "IDE" mode for Hewlett Packard BIOS versions. If you're still running XP (like I am on an old Remote Desktop server) it's possible that automatic updates may play a roll in setting this to SATA mode. My particular system requires IDE emulation even though the drive itself is SATA. Tap F10 on an HP system to enter start up settings, then go to the advanced tab and change the SATA Controller mode to IDE. Hope this helps.