Ask a question Report

I hate my Linksys Wireless Router [Solved]

Computer Illiterate - Latest answer on Jul 28, 2010 08:41PM
Hello,
so first of all id like to say im a complete idiot so you might have to dumb down some advice for me. anyway, i have a linksys wireless router.. and just like the one person on here said, my laptop says im fully connected to the network, but when i try to do anything on the internet it doesn't work. my laptop connects to other signals and runs fine, but of course, not with my own router.
the router is connected to my desktop, which runs on Windows ME [not my choice] and my laptop runs on Vista.. please help me?
ive tried everything, or at least i think.
Read more 
Answer
+13
moins plus
I had this very same problem with a brand new laptop I bought this past week. The Linksys router was on and functioning, but my new Vista laptop did not detect that the Linksys router was broadcasting. I went into the Linksys web site that we all have to go to to reset the router at http://192.168.1.1 and found the problem.

Sign in with your user name and password (if you have set one) and go to the tab named "wireless" and look at the term "SSID Broadcast". If it says "disable", check "enable" instead. Then click "Save Settings" and log out.

What this does is broadcast your signal within a certain limited area. On my old laptop I disabled this so others in my community would not see that I had a wireless signal being broadcast, and my old laptop with XP still picked up the signal. Unfortunately, this new one with Vista does not. Once I changed these settings my new laprop with Vista connected immediately.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sherri
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
If the above suggestion does not work, make sure to check the compatibility of your particular Limksys router model with Vista from the Linksys web site at:

http://www.linksys.com/...

Good luck!

Sherri
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
you can try to access the wireless router by logging in 192.168.1 and check the wireless to see if it is broadcasting the wireless signal.make sure that the wireless is enable.to make things even easier to can reset the router so that it can go to the manifacture setting and then trt to connect to the internet.it got to be your router
I hope that can help...let me know if it doesn't help so we can got to another step
stewie- Jul 11, 2009 07:55AM
hey how about if i havent set up a password or username what do i do need help please?? =/ i cant connect through lynksys please reply as soon as you read it please =/
banditkjay68- Sep 7, 2009 07:44PM
if you haven't set up a user name and password yet..... buy default be the word "admin" for both user name and password.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
For the accessing the router you need to be on your windows Me computer. If your on your vista and cant get to it i think that would be the issue. to log in url is http://192.168.1.1 user and pass are admin and admin
the SSID is under the Wireless tab.
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
First of all did you configured your router connection ,what connection do you have and what kind of router ?

Is it a modem router or only a router and what are the operating system on your different machines?

Try to reset the modem and check the ip settings

Hope that can help

Cheers:)
yron
Lindy- May 20, 2009 01:35PM
I just bought a mac router and I love it! My linksys router that is brand new SUCKED!! I kept losing connection with the internet. Get a mac I am telling you I have just recently converted to mac and I am like in a new technological world everything is much faster and way more clear and the best thing of all NO VIRUSES! I can not tell you how much I love my new Mac router and desktop! It just blows every PC I have ever owned out of the water!
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
hey, i had a problem with my router as well, i found out that it wasn't resetting my ip address every time i went on, so i had to do it manually.

Go Start > Run > type 'cmd' in the window (without speachmarks), then press enter.

type in 'ipconfig /release', then wait

when done, type 'ipconfig /renew' then wait until it done.

This solved my problems, hope it solved yours.

(P.S. if this method works, it means you router is stuffed)
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I think i know your problem im going through the same thing and the problem you have to cheak for is if your router is compatiable with windows Vista some of them arent =) hope this helps
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
you have to select what wireless connection to connect too by right clicking on the wireless symbol at the bottom right corner of your screen and choose lynksys for connection then try it you should be activated if not re-activate it
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
me to!! it connects to my lapto bt notmy ipod touch , wii , etc ... im getting angry and stressed please give me a answer
Add comment
Answer
moins plus
please help me install lynksis 192.168.1.1. provide me an installer. I have this [lynksis 192.168.1.1 wireless router) already purchase but i do not have installer. please provide me installer
Add comment
Answer
moins plus
Hell0 I am a techno-geek or what ever you people/aliens call me. I do have problems with my wireless-g and I am smart with laptops/computers/servers.
Add comment
This document entitled « I hate my Linksys Wireless Router » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.