Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Connection Keeps Timing out!:( [Solved/Closed]

Kimber - Latest answer on Mar 3, 2013 03:29AM
Hey, I'm having problems with my wireless connection, the internet works for all our other comps in my shop ,but mine!! It dies out every couple of pages or so and says that my connection has timed out.
So to keep browsing i have to disconnect and reconnect to the internet. Then it times out after a few pages again. It's HORRIBLE!!! Every page or 2, I've got to disconnect and reconnect!!
all the while I've got 5 bars, but sometimes it says I've got 'Limited access'
I don't understand!! Somebody help me before i murder my laptop!!
Read more 
Answer
+93
moins plus
I have been researching this problem for weeks and the most logical thing I've come across so far is that it is related to either an IP connection timing issue, (which must be resolved by modifying the registry key (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827), or it is related to a port blocking issue (which I have yet to resolve.)

The port blocking suggesting makes sense, because some folks report losing access to secure sites (https) and others report losing connection to regular websites (http). I personally can connect to the secure sites, such as my credit union account (https), but lose the http connection after about a minute or two. The only thing that restores the connection is a complete restart, and then it only lasts a couple minutes.

Since internet connections are routed through two different ports, depending on whether it's a secure or unsecure site, the port blocking concept has a lot of merit. I don't know how to access these controls or modify them, but I am posting this here because a) someone may know how to resolve the timing/port blocking issue, and b) these are the newest questions regarding this problem. I have found similar questions dating back to 2004, using all versions of the OS, all browsers, all computers and all kinds of routers, with and without firewalls. The problem almost assuredly has to do with an IP setting on ports, connection timing, or both. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Answer
+21
moins plus
This keeps happening to me too...

I have a netgear router from AOL on this desktop which has the normal DSL connection. I have recently bought a Sweex wireless dongle to connect my dad's comp to the wireless. All installed and says i have excellent reception, however when i load firefox i only get the google homepage and occasionally one other page before it dies- 'connection times out' or 'address not found'. IE wont even connect.

Other posts have suggested a conflicted with antivirus etc but i not sure.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Answer
+19
moins plus
I work for a big for-profit online university, and we see this problem all the time. It's a big deal for us because we're for-profit, and when a person can't attend our school because their HTTPS connections keep dropping, it cuts into our profits.

I'm going to be upfront though; I am not a networking person. I do not have an understanding of TCP/IP protocol.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this is what is happening:
Most wireless connections are encrypted. That is, encrypted while your data is traveling through a radio signal between your computer, and the access point or router, where it is de-crypted, and passed along completely unencrypted through the rest of its journey.

That last part is normal. Wired network connections are NOT encrypted. This is not a problem for the most part, because nodes (the big servers your data hops across on its way to its destination) have SO MUCH traffic moving through them, an unscrupulous employee with a high level of access would have to fish out your data from the stream, and your data is probably no more interesting than the next guy's data. (Sorry.)

However, it is because of that remote possibility, that we use encrypted secure connections for bank transactions, VPNs, email, and connections to our colleges and universities websites. That way the unscrupulous employee would have to fish out your completely nonsensical data, and spend the next 2,000 years using a supercomputer to figure it out.

So here's where the dropped or timed out connection comes into play. This is kind of difficult to explain using plain language terms, so techies please bear with me:

First, you have to understand that encryption increases the amount of data you are transferring. Say that you were going to encrypt my name, Seamus. The encrypted version would not be six characters long. The encrypted version could be 60 characters long.

Ever notice how sometimes on a secure site your web browser will say "this page contains both secure and non-secure items. Do you want to display the non-secure items?" You get that message because the web page you're on does not want to encrypt the transfer of images between you and their server. One little image can easily be equal to the data of all the text on the page. Encrypting the images would make the page load on your computer EXTREMELY slowly.

When you are on a secure (aka encrypted) wireless connection, and you try to access a secure website, you are overlapping encryption. At that point, you are sending a massive amount of data between your computer and the wireless access point. Just a few dropped packets or network interference (even if you have maximum signal strength) can bring your connection to a crawl, or time it out completely.

Frustrated- Mar 16, 2010 11:20AM
I agree with post # 11, Online University IT. Before I got my laptop my PC had no trouble at all. My internet connections never timed out. Since I got my laptop and set up my wireless router to be encrypted I now have problems with my laptop and PC both timing out. Now my laptop is connected via a wireless connection but my PC is not and yet I have the same timing out issues on both computers.

The problem started as soon as I set up the encryption on the wireless router and I hadn't realized that until I read that post. I'm am going to try and remove the encryption and see if my internet connection is better, if so then I'll have my answer. I guess at that point I will have to avoid doing sensitive work on my laptop, such as logging into my bank account, etc.
Taveren- Apr 8, 2010 03:06PM
nonsense, encrypted information is not supposed to take up any more space, it is slower to encrypt/decrypt though, and that's why the extra overhead on https traffic
TechNICKLE- Jul 1, 2010 01:30PM
Not nonsense. Encryption takes every character you input and converts it into a mathematical equation that only the recipient has the key to decipher, hence why it is slower to encrypt/decrypt, and why you would spend 2,000 years on a supercomputer trying to crack it.
Answer
+12
moins plus
I'm also having the same issue with my SONY laptop.. not a dell, or any other cheapo computer. I payed a hefty penny so i expect the best out of it... but that's not what im getting. Im using Firefox, and just as everyone else said, it will run fine for an hour or so and then decide it wants to time out. Also as someone else said.. it may be with TWC's new internet connection somethin somethin somethin... its not that, because mine has been doing this months before i recieved that notice. So ive narrowed it all down to this... Its Either Firefox, or the Netgear modem, and im leaning more towards firefox, because i can run other programs such as instant messengers that require an internet connection, and they will work fine while firefox says its timed out.

Frazz- Jun 25, 2011 04:30PM
FireFox uses MUCH more bandwidth than most browsers, it's firefox causing the problem, try updating it, or use IE8.
Bobby Chang- Mar 3, 2013 03:29AM
ROR someone suggested Internet Explorer
Answer
+10
moins plus
Well, although a slightly different problem, I have a client with an issue along the same lines. Regardless of browser or any program that requests internet access, the site is initially seen, and then the wireless connection times out. No viruses, spyware, or anything else is on the system that may cause this. What really boggles my mind is that other computers work fine on that network, and that specific laptop works fine connecting to other networks.

I removed and reinstalled the latest drivers for the wireless adapters, cleaned all temp/cookies, released/renewed the IP, tried a dedicated IP, can ping the router without a problem, checked firewall, host file, everything I could think of...

Maybe if you figure out your issue, it'll point me in the right direction. I'll gladly post how I resolved it if I beat you to it.

Nok- Jan 8, 2010 07:30PM
Hi,
I am having the same problem. My computer crashed, my IT reinstalled windows and other software, then I couldn't connect to my NETGEAR wifi at home. Signal is excellent, another laptop at home works fine. But, I still can use my laptop connect to wifi at the office . I am running XP Pro version 20002 SP3. My laptop used to work with my home wifi.
blkjack- May 26, 2010 05:27PM
my problem is my phone, i have all the bars possible but it says i have no service and wont let me send texts or place calls it happens at least once every few days
sheady- Jul 2, 2010 07:23PM
I have the same problem with the router disconnecting from the modem for no apparent reason. I think the netgear is junk. My computer works fine when I bypass the router. Doing that defeats the purpose of the wireless. I am going to try to return the router & get my money back. I have only had it a few days.
shani- Jul 4, 2010 02:27PM
please solve this problem
Answer
+9
moins plus
if you dont have a proxy server, you should set it up
if you have a proxy server running, you disable it.

The problem you described usually is due a proxy.
Second thing you can do is reset your router. not via the "reset" button but get the power of it and wait for a minute, bring the power back in and you're done.

greetz
me

Answer
+6
moins plus
I am sorry to disagree with the post that stated the OS "only" controls the internet connection. Although, in general, this is true, but it seems that Firefox IS doing something to cause the internet connection to disconnect and then immediately reconnect. I have tested with Safari and IE and it does not disconnect then reconnect like this. If I use Firefox, it disconnects maybe in 15 minutes or maybe in 4 hours. I cannot determine a repeatability regarding the time intervals, and am unable to determine the cause (as of yet).

I am running Windows Vista, and Firefox version - 3.0.5. Also, none of my other computers disconnect like this, so it is not the ISP, router, or such. I am connected wired on this Vista machine with the issue.

Based on my troubleshooting efforts, the issue I am experiencing is a Firefox issue.

Omegaman

Answer
+6
moins plus
Yeah i'm having the same issue with https sites. It is annoying because me and my sister can't reach our respective school sites because of the timing out. This happened lately and we didnt do any configuration changes. CAN SOMEBODY HELP SOLVE THIS PLEASE !

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hello, I have just found this article, I had the same problem with vista, my friend recommended turning off the firewall (which you don't need because routers, being wireless or wired, have better, built in firewalls, which also means less system resources being used!) and it worked! Windows XP SP3 turns on the firewall automatically and also changes the windows system around quite a bit, and may disable some drivers. I use XP SP3 and everything works fine, When I had Vista, My connection would always automatically end! try downgrading to XP or upgrading to seven, they both are a lot better than Vista!!!

Answer
+4
moins plus
Mine is a different problem.
my desktop is acting up and my ipod is just fine...

chrisyboiiiii- May 11, 2010 02:42AM
yeh my pc, 360, ds, and 1 out of 3 laptops can connect
the 2 vista ones say you have limited access to the internet and nothing works
1Cor1313- Jun 5, 2011 08:45PM
yeah same here my iphone is perfectly fine while my laptop is being a pain in the neck.
Answer
+4
moins plus
3 of my clients are experiencing the same issue. And it only started about a week ago. Before that, no one mentioned anything. And I have not changed any firewall/port settings at all so i don't know what all of a sudden is causing this timeout issue. My cases has been only on HTTPS pages so far.

Answer
+3
moins plus
If you're certain there is no security software or firewall preventing your access (boot to safe mode /w networking & try) there are a couple other possibilities that haven't been suggested. First check that your system time has the correct time, date & time zone. Your browser will completely ignore any security certificates if the system time doesn't match. If that is correct try using openDNS to access the site. If you use a smaller local ISP it's probable they don't flush their cache as often so you may want to call them and ask them to clear it.

jim- Mar 18, 2010 12:32PM
the time zone was my problem, I think, so far so good. I just did a complete fresh install of XP and after about a week, after 5 minutes or so in the properties I was connected 54Mbps everything looked great but would time out going to any page. I would have to unplug my adapter from usb, plug it back in and I'd have a few more minutes. I read this and checked my time zone and I was off, I knew that was not right but had no idea it would affect anything. Now I know. Thanks. So far so good, been about 10 minutes now. Thats longer than any connection so far this week.
Answer
+3
moins plus
Oh, one more thing. Both my computers are laptops. One with xp and one with vista. I use wireless internet via usb. I kept getting connection timed out for about 4 mos.

Goodluck. ; )

rence

Answer
+2
moins plus
I got a notice from Time Warner Cable "Important information your action may be required" TWC will be upgrading our network facilities serving your neighborhood on 07/12/09 to 07/16/09. I did not have any problem before this, as a matter of fact my problem started 07/16/09. I can log into http but not any https, it just keeps trying with on responce. Have called TWC but they give me any excuse " it is Firefox, it is netgear wireless connection, it is an over load of electrical in S.Calif." But when I ask about their Network upgrade they don't have any notification of any upgrade. I'm sure it has something to do with TWC??? Please let me know if your with TWC.

hbjones- Nov 2, 2009 06:23PM
I am having the same problem with TWC. Since I got TWC I have not been able to access certain games online. I am currently trying to find out from TWC what the problem is. I also can not connect to Playstation Network. Any ideas on what is wrong...I think it has something to do with a registry key or a port block.
HELP!!
Answer
+2
moins plus
I addressed this issue by setting the affinity to cpu 0. I googled for much information about this but ultimately I found my answer by letting firefox use a single processor whenever I use it. I did this to both of my dual-core computers. It also sped up ff since only one processor would handle it.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Does reduced signal strength means less users connected to access point

Answer
+2
moins plus
for phone such as iphone, nokia, htc and ect.
what i did was to reset or reboot my modem (home user)
then im able to online with my phone
now im having problem of my company line, every1 face no problem to go internet but it doesnt seem to work on my side, and i cant reset the modem as i like since every1 is using and got no problem with it
i google for hours, dont really get any good feedback from there
is it just a problem at phone setting side? im using nokia n97, some said change on setting will do and i followed the step, still not working
could any1 please help me out of this? thanks

Answer
+2
moins plus
sir,

actually we have a back up server with VTL(virtual tape library, sun product). From this sever mentioned through will come 267 mbps provided if we use a F.O channel(1gbps), but think is that we have use FO channel and also use 100 mbps switch, use cat6 cable for vtl and back up server. now throughput will come 0.65 gb per hour this is not sufficient for this back up..

after that we see that when I ping backup server from another server then it shows request time out within 1 or 2minutes we check it and take a details status of 1 hour and see 24 times shows request time out.

so I want to know that what shorts of problem should be arise on net work section . and how to increase the speed through this network.or what short of change should be done in our network, please kindly tell me..

Thanks & regards
Susanta Roy Chowdhury

Answer
+1
moins plus
use a differet router. Sometimes the computer's wireless card may have problems with the type of router you are using Netgear router don't work well with some wireless cards. Try a linksys (ever try a older G router if possible)

Answer
+0
moins plus
I'm having the same problem.
Everytime I open the internet explorer, it opens up the homepage fine.
But the connection only last for somewhere around 2sec - 30sec and times out.
And it takes somewhere around 10sec - 5minutes to regain the few seconds of connection.
(that's how I managed to end up here T_T)
I've talk to the tech support at time warner, and after many minutes and many operators I've spoked to,
the final conclusion was to send out the technician on thursday (2days.. not bad..) and have them replace the modem and inspect the line. Obviously everything they asked me to do did not work.
Hopefully replacing the modem will fix the problem..

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Connection Keeps Timing out!:( » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.