Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Unable to open D: by double clicking [Solved/Closed]

yohge - Latest answer on Oct 10, 2012 02:09AM
Hello,
When I double click on the D:\ drive on my notebook it doesn't open automatically, rather it starts the OPEN WITH menu and asks
Choose the program you want to use to open this file: D:\ and gives a list of programs. This error was not there earlier, but has been coming for some time after i detected and removed a virus otorun.inf from my d: harddisk using pc-cillin by trendmicro. I have to access the D: hard disk using windows exploer. Pls help and tell me how I can go back to double clicking to access D:\.
Thanks
Yogi
Read more 
Answer
+114
moins plus
this remove by following steps

first go to run then write " regedit" that is registry

then find " ctrl+f"

in this box write "mountpoints2" and delete it ......

then again press "ctrl+f" again find mountpoints2 until all these files are not deleted

then u will see ur problems is solved................

ALI FIDA- Sep 19, 2008 12:42PM
Thanks a lot for sharing you such a fantastic way to solve this problem........ thankyou so much.
Shankz- Apr 21, 2011 04:31PM
Thanks a lot dude...:-D
kranthi- Apr 22, 2011 01:11AM
thank you very much, this solved my problem
Ateeb- Apr 25, 2011 09:17AM
Brilliant yaar ... Absolutely Brilliant ... that was a great help !!!
Deepak Rajput- Apr 27, 2011 11:19PM
Good Idea its work
Answer
+13
moins plus
1Open Start >> Run and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
2. press ok
3. You will see a message DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded
4. that's it

try this 4 step may this slove ur prob

honey- Oct 6, 2012 01:51PM
it really worked.thnx alot
bebow- Oct 10, 2012 02:09AM
This worked for me! Thanks!
Answer
+3
moins plus
Thx bro..

worked like makhan...thx

Answer
+2
moins plus
In some situation especially when anti-virus program has cleaned, healed, disinfected or removed a worm, trojan horse or virus from computer, there may be error happening whenever users try to open or access the drive by double clicking on the disk drive icon in Explorer or My Computer window to try to enter the drive's folder. The problem or symptom happens in hard disk drive, portable hard disk drive or USB flash drive, and Windows will prompt a dialog box with the following message:

Windows Script Host

Can not find script file autorun.vbs.

Sometimes you will be asked to debug the VBScript with error code of 800A041F - Unexpected "Next".

or

Choose the program you want to use to open this file with:

In this case, the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" option is grayed out.

The symptom occurs because when autorun.vbs is created by trojan horse or virus. The virus normally loads autorun.inf file to root folder of all hard drive or USB drive, and then execute autorun.bat file which contains script to apply and merge autorun.reg into the registry, with possible change to the following registry key to ensure that virus is loaded when system starts:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Userinit=userinit.exe,autorun.exe

Finally, autorun.bat will call wscript.exe to run autorun.vbs.

When antivirus or security software detected the autorun.vbs file as infected, the file will be deleted or removed or quarantined. However, other files (autorun.* and registry value still referring to autorun.vbs, and this document no longer exists, hence the error when users double click to open a drive folder.

To correct and solve this error, follow this steps:

Run Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right click on Taskbar)
Stop wscript.exe process if available by highlighting the process name and clicking End Process.
Then terminate explorer.exe process.
In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run).
Type "cmd" (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
Type the following command one by one followed by hitting Enter key:
del c:\autorun.* /f /s /q /a
del d:\autorun.* /f /s /q /a
del e:\autorun.* /f /s /q /a

c, d, e each represents drive letters on Windows system. If there are more drives or partitions available, continue to command by altering to other drive letter. Note that you must also clean the autorun files from USB flash drive or portable hard disk as the external drive may also be infected.

In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run).
Type "regeditÃ" (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Check if the value name and value data for the key is correct (the value data of userint.exe include the path which may be different than C drive, which is also valid, note also the comma which is also needed):
"Userinit"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

If the value is incorrent, modify it to the valid value data.

nadeem- Aug 17, 2008 07:29AM
well dear i tried everything but nothing happened , i have deleted the autorun.ini and checked the registry, but i cant open the drive directly, so what should i do?
devil- Aug 17, 2008 01:20PM
hi when i open my e and f drive they do not open when opened with internet explorer they do not open in internet explorer folder a new file is there internet explorer crash in my run window it does not take regedit command and shows registry editing disabled by administrator kindly help man
devil- Aug 19, 2008 09:40AM
hi man in my properties in desktop my display properties one option is missing it lost due to a virus the virus is gone now came with xp antivirus 2008 but my one option is missing appearence themes setting are coming the one more option missin help me when ever i work on net this message generic host process for win 32 error comes and net stops working in my run option also regit command is not working error comes regit commmand disabled by administraror help me with theses problems theses are linked with each other reply please.....................
manmeet- Aug 20, 2008 12:37AM
>I've found an easier cure. It worked for me so you could try it:-
>Right-click on My Computer
>Click on Manage
>Expand 'Services & Applications'
>Highlight 'Services'
>Look through list of services on the right....
>Find Universal Plug & Play Device Host
>Right-click on it.
>Click properties.
>Change startup type to 'Disabled'
>Do exactly the same with 'SSDP discovery service'
>Problem should be solved

i m not shore but its work
keshu- Sep 6, 2008 06:21AM
HI,

your information on the above subject was very useful.

thanks it able to solve the problem in my pc where there was not able to
open the c and d drives.

thank you

bai

keshava.k.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Answer
+2
moins plus
1. Run Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right click on Taskbar)
2. Stop wscript.exe process if available by highlighting the process name and clicking End Process.
3. Then terminate explorer.exe process.
4. In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run...).
5. Type "cmd" (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
6. Type the following command one by one followed by hitting Enter key:

c, d, e each represents drive letters on Windows system. If there are more drives or partitions available, continue to command by altering to other drive letter. Note that you must also clean the autorun files from USB flash drive or portable hard disk as the external drive may also be infected.
7. In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run...).
8. Type "regedit" (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
9. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
10. Check if the value name and value data for the key is correct (the value data of userint.exe include the path which may be different than C drive, which is also valid, note also the comma which is also needed):

"Userinit"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

If the value is incorrent, mo

Answer
+1
moins plus
i follow all instructions but its not changed

Answer
+1
moins plus
hi yodge,
effectively after removing the virus some infected files may have been modified or unable you need to re-configure the settings ;-)

Answer
+1
moins plus
Can't thank you enough, scouted the net for a solution but no where is it given is such simple and clear steps, aprreciate it shailesh, keep up the good work & thanks a million

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi,
Had the same problem with the external drive...the solution provided was a saviour thanks so much.

Answer
+1
moins plus
thanks alotttttttt

vishu- Aug 4, 2008 11:27AM
You are awsome, good, I could solve my problem with your instruction, you are great.

Keep it up!!!
cabler- Sep 19, 2008 07:52PM
Thanks bro. your a genius. by the way how come i just reformat my computer with anti virus and it already could not read my f.drive? does this mean there's a virus already in my system?
Ramesh- Sep 20, 2008 03:29AM
hi bro, thanks for the easy instruction to solve that problem..
very cool, I salute for your good job.. cool!
Answer
+1
moins plus
HI
Yogi

1. Run Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right click on Taskbar)
2. Stop wscript.exe process if available by highlighting the process name and clicking End Process.
3. Then terminate explorer.exe process.
4. In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run...).
5. Type "cmd" (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
6. Type the following command one by one followed by hitting Enter key:

Thanks & Regards.....
IMRAN KHAN

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thank you very much Irshad.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thank you so much dear, it took a while for me to find this quick fix... it really worked fine with me. We use latest professional antivirus, this clean the virus affected my drive but thereafter it was unable to explore, after doing this fix only i managed to explore the flash drive by double clicking..

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have this problem too, but I wscript.exe does not appear in the processes in the task manager:

Stop wscript.exe process if available by highlighting the process name and clicking End Process.

Any other suggestions?

Answer
+0
moins plus
I had the same problem and also the amvo worm, try www.mygeekside.com. He has a nifty little script that automates the process of disabling the amvo worm and unhiding everything so you can get at hidden files and also a script to disable or enable autorun. I'm no expert but this helped me.

Answer
+0
moins plus
I deleted the process svchost.exe unknowingly from task manager. What shall I do? Also I can't open my d drive & it displays open with menu; how shall i fix it?

Answer
+0
moins plus
it worked!!!!thanx a lot bro

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thanks for your help !

Answer
+0
moins plus
i have the same problem, when i reach to the cmd.exe i type (del c:/autorun.*/f/s/q/a) it gives a error parameter something is not correct and gives like this "uotrun.*)

shiju- Jul 21, 2008 01:31AM
dear please type del c:\autorun.* /f/s/q/a

Shiju Philip
1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « Unable to open D: by double clicking » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.