HP Pavilion dv6000 Won't turn on/Black Screen

Solved/Closed
Volumed Posts 4 Registration date Thursday June 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 20, 2009 - Jun 19, 2009 at 03:16 PM
 WW - Apr 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Hello,

This morning I turned on my laptop and worked perfectly... for a couple seconds. My HP pavilion Dv6000 froze and I decided to manually turn it on and back on. I pushed, and held the power button until it turned off. Once it turned off I decided to take the battery out (for no apparent reason). So I took it out and put it back it (i didn't really touch anything). Once I put it back in I tried turning it on by pressing the power button, but it wouldn't turn on. The screen is black, there are no blue lights that are on. (These lights are on when you turn the laptop on).

I tried the taking out the battery and hold power button for 30-60secs trick, but no luck. I also have taken out my laptop's ram and re-inserted it (same with my hard drive). Oh and my battery is fully charged. I tried searching the net for solutions but no one really has the same problem as me. Most of the other people with problems said they could hear the fan, but with mine there is noting. No sound. No lights. No working laptop just one really expensive door stop.

HELP!
Related:

9 responses

After reviewing the applicable DV6000 threads for this issue across the web I've come up with this remedy which seems to work if you are disinclined to perform the "real" fix of reflowing the solder joints of the NVidia chip on the motherboard.
  • 1. Press the on button of your offending DV6000. The blue LED next to your SD-MS/Pro-MMC-XD slot (left side front) should stay lit during BIOS and the screen is blank. You may also notice the LEDs around the network port (8 pin modular connector) flash at initial power on also. This is the state my system gets into and seems to be the common state referred to by other users having the problem.
  • 2. Allow the system to go through the automatic "restart" that occurs when you are in this state. The system will auto-restart repeatedly is another symptom of this problem that seems to be fixed by this procedure.
  • 3. Once the system has auto-restarted once, press and hold the power button until the all the LEDs go dark and you hear the disk drive make a short whirring sound following by a clunk. If your system shuts down quietly, you will need to return to step 1 because this whir-clunk sound indicates you have crashed the BIOS and that is needed to get the right state for the next step.
  • 4. After crashing the BIOS in step 3, press and *hold* the escape key (labeled esc) immediately below the power button and press the power button to turn on the system again. If you are successful the blue LED on the side will briefly light (1/2 secs I'd estimate) then go out and about 5 seconds later you will see the BIOS messages on the display and the system will continue to boot with the display active. The amount of time you wait between crash and restart may be important so I try and do this step within 1 to 2 seconds after I've completed step 3.

I always shutdown my system instead of simply putting it into hibernation or sleep. I do this because I don't want the crashing of the BIOS to cause corruption on the hard disk which is quite possible given a MS operating system.
This method worked perfectly for me. My computer, the Hpdv6000 was doing continual reboots and by shutting it off an on I would eventually get it to start. I then got a message for an hp update and then it would not boot at all. Following the instructions above it worked. Thanks
sasika11 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday December 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2012
Dec 13, 2012 at 08:56 AM
good works it is working for my laptop thanks............................
Thank you & more power! It almost gave me a nervous breakdown. One thing I learned is to make sure to save important files to external drives, just incase all methods did not work as expected.
Fixed the problem the very first try. Thank you sooo much!!