No DVD sound after installing Vista SP2

Solved/Closed
Bishopbaby - Jun 17, 2009 at 01:43 AM
 Shirley - Feb 7, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Hello,

As soon as I upgrade my Windows Vista with the Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465), sound didn't work on windows media player. Playing music (Stored on the pc) is fine, playing games is fine, but as soon as i put on a DvD there is no sound at all. I haven't tried CD's but I'm guessing it's the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Related:

15 responses

solution: I had exactly this problem and solved it by disallowing 'exclusive mode' for the Realtech Audio High Definition sound device.

This option was in 'Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback -> select 'Realtek HDMI output' -> properties -> advanced'. Unclick 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'.
Solution: I had exactly this problem and solved it by disallowing 'exclusive mode' for the Realtech Audio High Definition sound device.

This option was in 'Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback -> select 'Realtek HDMI output' -> properties -> advanced'. Unclick 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

Excellent advice
tried this out and fixed my problem
Thanks Adam
Thanks a ton - that worked perfectly - it had been driving me up a wall!
Thank you! Had the same problem after updating Vista to SP2 and this fixed it. Awesome!
your solution was the simplest I came across and worked excellent. The problem was excisting for weeks and is now solved.
Tim,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I was stumped, tired, and running out of solutions. Your suggestion fixed the problem in just a few simple clicks of the mouse and I am now enjoying watching DVD's again!

JD
Same problem here. Windows media player and media center will play DVD's but no sound, cd's work fine. Nero player works, plays audio on DVD just fine.
Fustrated Vista User
Jul 13, 2009 at 04:25 PM
Same problem here, DVDs no sound on Media Player and Media Center. CDs work fine. Never thought of SP2.
same issue over here. No DVDsound after installing SP2, deinstalled SP2 and hey sound is back. Defintely SP2 problem
I watched my DVD Train Ride Through the Rockies at home, and went to my hotel with Hi Speed WiFi and Updated SP2/ on my Windows VISTA and the DVD Capability went away; "Unrecognised Disk in Drive E:".
I Reversed the Update (from the Windows Update Platform you can "uninstall" any Updates, and I found it on the list and removed it and all is well in DVD Playland now, except I cannot/willnot Update my VISTA to SP2 anymore - - -
Steve

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Wow am I glad I found this. Had a windows update for Vista (don't know which one) and lost sound for DVD. Everything else had sound (games, music, etc..) just not the dvd. I did what everyone said and went to Control Panel>Sounds>Playback> double clicked the one there (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio) >clicked "advanced" tab at top and unchecked the box "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and sound came blaring thru! That box sounds devious anyways... "exclusive control" huh...

Anyways, thought I'd post this and say a huge THANK YOU!!!! to the people here! I would never have been able to figure it out! =)

Have a great day!!
Blocked Profile
Jun 17, 2009 at 03:33 AM
hi,

you need to install the drivers of the DVD drive.

then you will be able to use te drivewithout any problem.
"you need to install the drivers of the DVD drive" ....No No that didn't work!

VLC media works perfectly fine for DVD's, BUT Vista MCE and WMP dose not play sound for DVD's. Obviously it's due to the vista SP2 update. Also since the update some recorded shows will not play sound as well.

Gona try the old roll back. Any one else with the same issue?
I am having the same issue. Didn't even consider SP2 until you mentioned it, but yes, probably started with SP2...

If that's true... we're probably stuck with this until MS decides it is worth noticing (which may be never if it is out specific hardware; mine: Conexant AC-Link Audio).

Anyone else?
I have the same Sound driver and when i installed vista sp 2 no sound for DVDs.
Have the same problem after vista sp2. No sound in flash player BUT have sound in microsoft silverlight. Vista themes don't work either. The usual from microsoft : drivers, reload flash player. None works.
Still waiting fro a patch from microsoft!!
seneschal4008
Jul 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM
yes i have the same problem. have been troubleshooting with hp techs-they don't have a clue & refuse to accept that it is a sp2 install problem. have tried installing new codecs, running sound Fix-it, reinstalling sp2, and nothing works. Everything works fine when i run HP SmartMedia, but not with Windows Media player or Windows Media Center.
Thanks for the information. I will try it out today.

I lost sound on EVERYTHING except the headphone jack,
no windows startup sound, no Quicken sound, you-tube, media center, etc.

I am just about certain it started immediately after upgrading to SP2. (I will try restoring to SP1 just to be sure).
According to a scan, I did have back-level drivers Realtek High Definition Audio and ATI HDMI
(also a Realtek driver) .
Some others busted by maintenance, but thats another story .......

I updated both sound drivers, and still no sound.
I WAS wondering it some configuration item was causing it,
but there are a TON of settings to play with. and nothing I tried has helpd at all.

I can't believe Microsoft sends out so much maintenance that breaks stuff ........
mad as hell !
Aug 6, 2009 at 03:00 AM
any one find a fix yet?... same thing here! Where is Microsoft when you need them?
I watched my DVD Train Ride Through the Rockies at home, and went to my hotel with Hi Speed WiFi and Updated SP2/ on my Windows VISTA and the DVD Capability went away; "Unrecognised Disk in Drive E:".
I Reversed the Update (from the Windows Update Platform you can "uninstall" any Updates, and I found it on the list and removed it and all is well in DVD Playland now, except I cannot/willnot Update my VISTA to SP2 anymore - - -
MANY THANKS ADAM42 :D:D IT WORKED
In playback I don't have anything!
If anyone else had the same problem as me with nothing in the sound and playback box ...I just went into device manager and then there was an unknown device so I right clicked and installed the driver and it was the audio one so all sorted.
I've tried to resolve this issue for months to no avail. Stumbled across this tonight via a Google search and it fixed it. Thanks so much for the advice.
Thanks for the information about SP2. It solved my problem with sound problem and frozen blue picture for "Windows Media Player". I had just installed a new HDMI graphic/sound card NVIDIA Geforce 240GT and I first, thought the problem was caused by installation of the new card.