Problems with wireless connestion Ubuntu 9

Solved/Closed
Tez - Jun 13, 2009 at 07:16 PM
 sticky - Mar 22, 2010 at 12:52 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my computer (duel-boot Vista), and having problems connecting to my wireless broadband. The network shows up on my list, but when I enter the password, it doesn't connect. After a little while, where it's trying to connect, the passwordbox popps up, but the line with the password is filled with letters and numbers. I'm not too good with computers, especially not Linux, and have no idea whats wrong.
Related:

5 responses

tommo2785 Posts 15 Registration date Wednesday June 17, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2009 2
Jun 19, 2009 at 09:16 AM
yes it is the password, case sensitive
Is the correct protocol selected on the Ubuntu box for the router. ie. there the same protocol with the same SSID and password. If you have entered all of this it should work
Setitng up wireless is easy. Same with bluetooth. These two are probably easier to set up on linux than windows, same with static ip's for wired
that said i could never get my old ubuntu box to connect to an old Netgear wireless router. that said i couldn't get windows to connect either. I do lie, i got the XP laptop to connect once for a period of about 10 minutes.
OOH
just thought under settings for network in ubuntu do you have a static ip address set up for wireless connectivity or DHCP (ip obtained by host)
check your routers setting maybe you have or someone else for you has set up MAC address limiting or assigned specific IP's to specific box names or limited the amount of IP's. I do this on my network's as a security measure. To prevent unauthorized access as well as WPA.
Let me know how you go
Tom6 Posts 142 Registration date Friday July 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 7, 2009 16
Aug 7, 2009 at 03:01 AM
Hi :)

This specifically linux forum should be able to help
http://www.linuxquestions.org
as it deals with a huge range of different versions of linux but is dedicated to linux support.

Even better might be the specifically Ubuntu forums and documentation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Links?action=show&redirect=Signpost%2FQuestions#help

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)
Some usb stick modem needs to be unmounted prior to connecting to the internet. Ubuntu sometimes detects some usb stick modems as a storage device. So try un-mounting the device first. Also configure APN settings properly in the VPN configuration. Sometimes wrong APN are used as default resulting to inability to connect to the internet.

Hope this helps.
Try it with wallet open

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I had the same problem I try system>administration>hardware drivers and install updates