Ask a question Report

Sims 3 crashing [Solved/Closed]

tbad5 2Posts Tuesday June 9, 2009Registration date June 10, 2009Last seen - Latest answer on Apr 3, 2013 12:03AM
Hello,
I recently purchased the Sims 3 game for my Dell PC and i have been having problems with the game crashing. I could play the game for about 10 minutes, then the monitor would turn black, yet me CPU would still be running, and the only way i could restart my computer was by unplugging the whole system and turning it back on. I have heard people have had problems with their video card on their computer being disabled... any ideas?
Thanks
Read more 
Answer
+294
moins plus
I found the solution!!!!! I tried almost everything there was out there from updating my drivers, getting rid of all my downloaded content, unintstalling the game and re installing it... but then I found this out. All you have to do is disable Data Excecution Prevention (DEP) for The Sims 3.

FOR WINDOWS:
Go To Start - Settings - Control panel and select System. Click on the Advanced tab and in the preformance section click Settings. Click the tab for Data execution prevention and click the option to [Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select] go to browse then find where your game was installed and add TS3.EXE to the list. (The program may just be called TS3) Make sure it is an EXE extention (right click, go to properties and it will tell you) Try to add all versions that you have ( TS3, WA, HELS and Ambitions).
MAKE SURE YOU APPLY THE CHANGES AND REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM.

TADA :D

Sorry, not too sure how to do it for Mac :(

g PLEASE ANSWER BACK- Apr 20, 2011 04:36AM
My sims wont even let me click on it,when i do get onto it its just a black screeen and sometimes it crashes shall i unstall and reinstall??????????!!!! :(
ujytgukyghuy- Oct 11, 2012 02:09AM
Dosent work.
shaz- Nov 5, 2012 01:39PM
where do i find the TS3 file.
kady- Nov 6, 2012 02:04AM
I tired this too, doesn't work. Options disable full screen mode has helped a lot though, but still crashes some times for me.
kurly- Nov 18, 2012 09:44PM
look for it by pressing start and look at the icons. it might be there. if not, press start, then documents, and then you will see electronic arts. This is if you have a pc, not a mac
Answer
+62
moins plus
Some people have reported crashing with Sims 3: Ambitions. It seems the expansion has an issue with the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) on your computer. Here's how to fix it. This will work for Windows XP (which I have) and hopefully others. If you don't have crashing, then don't bother with this.

Feel free to copy this and repost it on Sims forums or on other sites. I don't deserve the credit for this information; I'm just passing along some info I saw on another site.

1. Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Settings.

2. Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab. Click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and press "Add." You will now add your Sims game, expansions and Stuff Packs to the DEP exception list. Copy-and-paste these "C:" locations in the spot where it says "File Name."

Sims 3 base game:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe

World Adventures:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin\TS3EP01.exe

High-End Loft Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff\Game\Bin\TS3SP01.exe

Ambitions:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Ambitions\Game\Bin\TS3EP02.exe

Click OK. You'll have to restart the computer for this to take effect. It should stop the crashing.

Answer
+18
moins plus
I have had the Sims 3 for 1 day, I can play in build mode with no problem as soon as it goes to play mode it crashes. It isnt my computer, it is a bran new gamer computer.
It is EA...they need programmers that have knowledge to program.
Alot of people are having major problems with sims 3.
I will go back to 2, it doesnt crash.

Carrie1354- Jun 17, 2010 09:48PM
I had the exact same problem, read the solution i posted. My game works perfectly now. :D
Answer
+13
moins plus
I had it crash to desktop straight after loading (about 20 seconds of actual ingame before the crash) and having had a similar problem on Fallout 3 that a modder on a forum had fixed, I decided to give it a go with this. It worked for me, maybe it will for you:

Download and install (I am not a bot or an evil virus-spreader, honest folks!):
http://www.ntcore.com/files/ExplorerSuite.exe

Go to "C:\Program files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Ambitions\Game\Bin"

And find a program called "TS3EP02"

**Copy this file somewhere where you can find it again, we need to make a backup (for when EA releases an official patch)**

Right click the original file > "open with CFF explorer"

You now have a window open "CFF explorer - [TS3EEP02]

On the left, under "NT Headers", there should be a tab called "File Header" Click it.

Then click on the area, towards the right of the window, labelled "Click Here"

A "Chacteristics" box will open. Check the option "App can handle >2gb Address space"

Click ok

**MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DONE THE BACKUP AS I SAID EARLIER**

Close CFF explorer

save changes to original file.

Hopefully it will work for you too. :)

When EA releases a patch that fixes this, or if this didn't work for you, simply find the original copy you made (because you did do that didn't you?) and overwrite the modified file with the original copy. This will allow the patch to install (because it won't on a modified .exe) and will revert the changes we made above

LC- Jun 17, 2010 03:52PM
Well that is interesting, sounds like the problem I have though There is no TS3EEP02 file hehe. My old computer with Vista 64 runs it just fine. My Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ATI 5970 Crossfire with i7 X980 crash or closes (Same thing) when running in the game for about 20 second after selecting a Sims family.
nickie=]- Jun 23, 2010 01:57AM
mine doesnt have cff explorer?
Donna- Jun 24, 2010 08:31AM
i was told by EA that sims is meant ti run on a 32 bit pc and thet EA aren't looking to change this so 64's work
Answer
+7
moins plus
My system is definitely up to spec - in fact, exceeds specs for the game. It also has the newest drivers. Still, after I've played the Sims for about an hour, the screen will go black and I have to reboot. This happens if I'm playing or building. The computer is not getting too hot. I have a supported video card. I agree that this sounds like an issue with the game.

Answer
+7
moins plus
There's nothing you can really do. You just need to wait until EA releases a fix for the game. Currently they have some bad code that causes the game to crash in fullscreen mode. I have had some success playing the game in windowed mode, but it will quit as soon as I shift the focus away from the game, even for just a second.

Mitcy- Apr 18, 2010 01:46PM
How do you do window mode?
Answer
+6
moins plus
Sims 3 was a nightmare for me. I have a high end gaming rig that runs Crysis and Section 8 without a hitch but when I installed Sims 3 and updated it per the updater message, I would get as far as the launcher. Hit the "play" button, and get a black screen for 1-5 seconds before I would be returned to the desktop.

Uninstalled the game, reinstalled, patched..same problem. Tried to shut everything down in the background ( anti virus, etc etc ) - no change.

Uninstalled the game again. Updated my video driver.

Installed the game again, this time I SKIPPED the updater when it asked me I wanted to download the latest whatever - and finally it works.

Now, I'm not sure if it was because I didn't update it as prompted, or because I updated the video card, but I'm afraid to update it now that I started playing it.

brittany- Jan 11, 2010 10:44PM
I skipped it when I first downloaded my game and a day later it started doing it. Sometimes it wont do it and I can play for a long time. But if I get off and try to get back on it starts crashing. When the black screen comes on a pop up comes up from my desktop that says display driver is having prblems?
Daniel- Jun 24, 2010 08:35PM
For this you maybe could still update it manually. Assuming this was the most recent patch, you could try patching it up to the one prior to this one, download both
Katey- Jun 26, 2010 08:10PM
Is it possible to save files from your previous game before you uninstall it so that when you do uninstall it, you won't lose all your saves from your old game?
Ettie- Jun 30, 2010 02:37PM
Just copy your sims3 folder from your my documents, and save it somewhere, then replace the sims3 folder that comes eith the reinstallation, should be fine!
Answer
+5
moins plus
Wow.. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the same problem.
After installing the latest patches it crashes even more frequent.
It's not my pc, but it's the game.
I think that goes for most of you.
Let's hope EA comes with a solution soon. I mailed the help desk.. so keeping my fingers crossed

Answer
+4
moins plus
Same problem here.. And I've menage to play it normal yesterday (base game, CAS, build mode and play mode), today I was installing some coustum content and it crashes now when choosing type of game to play (so - before actual game play).. :((

Sam- Jun 13, 2010 06:41PM
You need to remove the custom content. One of them is glitched.
Answer
+4
moins plus
Guys, just save the game every 10 minutes in order to not lose the data. At least it worked for me :) Give it a try!

Answer
+0
moins plus
yeah my sims 3 keeps crashing and i do not know how to fix it please help!!!!!!

Answer
+0
moins plus
hey this happens to me too, its so annoying :@:@, do you have any idea how to fix it? x thanks x

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have the same problem, Intel icore i5 4GB DDR3 (duh) Nvidia GeForce 310m Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Answer
+0
moins plus
mine is one the pc and after about 5 minetes of playing the game it crashes and restarts my computer

Answer
+0
moins plus
my screen just kinda turn black and i can still see stuff, but its like the light has been turned off! this happens after about an hour of play. I'm sending it in, and when i get an answer about whats going on, i'll get right back to y'all!

Answer
+0
moins plus
my game (and i just installed ambitions and it started doing this) will crash the game right after i enter live mode.

Answer
+0
moins plus
MY PROPELLER WONT SPIN AND I CANT GET IT STARTED ON MY OWN!

Answer
+0
moins plus
I experiance a problem similar. I can play in build mode, tried both existing towns then made a new one. Made a character, the house, and Once I went to live mode, BAM back to my desktop. So i tried 3 times in all. I wish EA support was open on the weekend!

Answer
+0
moins plus
i'm having the same problem now, i could play the game perfectly with all graphics settings up to maximum no problem what so ever, then it started playing up with updates and now i've just installed the new ambitions expansion it crashes after 5 or 10 minutes or so! patches please!

Answer
+0
moins plus
i start up my game, choose a family, and if a blue screen doesnt come up then that says like "analizing disc for crash dump" or something like that, then it crashes after a couple seconds of game play! ughh! HELP ME PLEASE! i cant play until this stops!

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Sims 3 crashing » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.