Ask a question Report

Itunes wants to delete all my songs [Solved/Closed]

DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY SONGS - Latest answer on Oct 20, 2012 10:36PM
Hello,
i recently bought a new computer and dowmloaded my itunes. before on my old computer i had an itunes with like 200 songs. since i got my new computer i bought 20 songs and tried to transfer them onto my ipod. Everytime i try to however, a message pops up saying that if i transfer the new songs onto my ipod all of my old songs will be deleted. what should i do?
Extra:
i also get a pop up saying that a newer version of itunes is ready for download. Should i download it or will it just make things worse? there is also a pop up that says this "Itunes has detected that it is not the default player for audio files. would you like to the default programs control panel to fix this?"
Read more 
Answer
+1196
moins plus
hi,
if you sync you iPod with iTunes, all the music in the iPod will be deleted.
what you need to do is to click on your iPod icon when you connect it to the computer and then check "Manually manage music".
then you need to create a playlist, put all the songs you want to add in your iPod, then under the iPod click on Music, and you will see "Autofill from:" below the window.
select the playlist yu created and click on autofill.
thus the songs will be added without deleting the ones which were already on the iPod.
it is recomonded that you update the iTunes when you are prompted to do so.
thus you can get more features.

warrior queen- Oct 4, 2012 08:15AM
boring
warrior queen- Oct 4, 2012 08:15AM
This actually did nothing
warrior queen- Oct 4, 2012 08:16AM
i am terribly ill
help
help!
Answer
+166
moins plus
Ok, I think I've figured out how to move songs into the iPod without having to back it all up (who has the time when they just want to add a new album?). I sympathise with everyone who has lost their music - I recently had a hard drive malfunction, so all the music I have is on my 120GB iPod. Not wanting to have to comb through my external hard drives to re-create my iTunes library just to update a new album, I've been looking for a way to add music to my iPod without having anything taken out against my will. I'll break it down...

1. Plug your iPod in. Most of the times, iPods are set on autosync. However, if it's from another iTunes library, you should get a pop-up warning you about the fact that syncing will clear your iPod. Cancel, and do not sync.

2. On the summary page of your iPod, at the very bottom, there should be a section called "Options", and a place to check a box called "Manually manage music and videos". Check it off. This will enable you to move your music back and forth without iTunes wanting to clear out your iPod for a new library.

3. Remember, do NOT attempt to move to the music tab and sync your music. Instead, click on the little arrow/triangle next to your iPod name (this is on the left sidebar, under "Devices"). You should now see a list of things on your iPod, from Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Audiobooks, to your playlists.

4. Now in order to move your music, highlight whatever album or song you want to move from your iTunes Music Library, and move it in to the Music section under Devices > iPod Name > Music. This should move the songs into your general iPod music folder. Click on that folder and search for your music to make sure it's moved in correctly.

5. If you're trying to move a playlist, make sure you're not moving one playlist into another, because then the playlist you are moving will merge with the other. Just place your playlist somewhere around your iPod's name, and it should move in with the other playlists without merging.

7. You're done! Make sure to eject properly, and if your disk use is enabled, make sure that your iPod is no longer mounted in Finder.

So, I think that's about it. I think this will work better with small amounts of music rather than large libraries, but that's just me. Anyhow, I hoped this helped someone, and I hope this step-by-step is easy enough to understand. Good luck everyone!

FApple- Apr 15, 2010 06:26PM
Click Apply and it turns the manual manage music flag off. How smart is that/
leilei- Apr 19, 2010 11:19PM
mahalo. that was a big help!
Nickie- Apr 23, 2010 10:05AM
i click on manually manage music, i click apply and it still pops up sayin erase n sync??

please help
Emily F- Oct 19, 2012 06:00AM
didnt help me, i had to end up deleting everything :/ when i checked "manually manage music...." it still came up saying then i had to earase everything. :/
trge- Oct 20, 2012 10:36PM
its not workin:(
Answer
+70
moins plus
when i click the manually manage music box itunes asks me if i want to sync the iphone and when i click cancel then i still cant manually manage my music. how can i click the box without it wantin to sync?

Answer
+10
moins plus
i just bought and i pod and i put songs on it well i figured once i got them on my i pod i could delete the songs so they wont slow down my computer but when i deleted them off my i tunes they came off my i pod and i keep having to re download the music over and over again what can i do to keep the music on my i pod but not keep the mucis on my computer.? Again im very new to i tunes so step by step answers would be greatly appreciated thank you =)

Answer
+4
moins plus
I have a work laptop and a home computer. While on travel, all I wanted to do was add a few new songs to my iPhone. iTunes wanted to delete my entire iTunes library on my phone. I could not drag an drop, and I could not figure out the cryptic menu options in iTunes to make it work. So I found something called CopyTransManager. Not only is it light and FREE, but it totally kicks ass in terms of ease of use. It does everthing you would want with no hassle or cryptic menus. I always hated iTunes, and now I know why.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Grab all the songs you want, drag them over itunes on the taskbar (without letting them go)... when the itunes window opens drop them on your ipod...or iphone or whatever under devices. it will just add them.

Answer
+0
moins plus
aaron person- that thing you said to do wont work on my computer- what do I do?

Answer
+0
moins plus
For starters if its a new pc you should either upgrade to win 7 or downgrade to xp. Vista is riddled with problems. Second, unless you know exactly what your doing in terms of managing your internet and computer security do not use explorer either, mozilla firefox is a safer and very user friendly browser.
In terms of your apple problems i would recommend you look into how to manage your ipod without using itunes, it is an evil bloody program, especially on a pc. The safest way to not lose your songs and add new would be to copy content of ipod into your new itunes library, then just add songs onto ipod again as normal. However have you tried putting it into manual mode? To get maual mode you click on ipod symbol in i tunes under source list, go options, music, manually manage songs and playlists. This is often all that needs to be changed to get itunes to not delete previously loaded content...

Answer
+0
moins plus
is there any fix for the problem ? the above is just a workaround ?

Answer
+0
moins plus
aok, it seem the iPhone OS 3.1.2 overcomes this, it has a merge info function if you choose not to erase & sync

Answer
+0
moins plus
You have to autorize you new computer

Answer
+0
moins plus
when you plug your ipod (or iphone) into your computer, click on the ipod icon on the side bar. click manage my own songs and videos (or something like that) and drag the songs or playlist you'd like on your ipod onto the ipod icon.

Answer
+13
moins plus
If you have already set your ipod for "Manually Manage" you can change it, but you will not be able to keep the songs already on there. The process of keeping your songs is very easy and about a 3 step process. To keep the songs already on there here is what you do:

1.) Plug in your iPod to the computer and open iTunes
2.) Under the "Library" List click on the Music icon
3.) Click on the music you want on your iPod(Dont let go of the mouse yet), and drag the songs from your playlist, to the Music icon under the Devices List.

echo_7265- Mar 28, 2010 07:46PM
omg! thank u SOOOOO much!
Bellser- Apr 7, 2010 07:35AM
simple susinct and sublime....

That there is the dynamite bizzzz....

Many many thanx :-)
Enigmus333- Apr 9, 2010 01:33AM
okay I have a problem which hasn't been stated here(For some reason I seem to always have problems that isn't listed in the help forums I go to.....ever) anyways, this is my problem.

I have a laptop and I had to re-install windows well I went and got windows 7 (no it was not my idea) (F"ing windows) again, anyways, I re-installed windows and then iTunes and when hitting the the check box to manually manage my music it tells me that I can't do this because low and behold, it's synced with another iTunes library and will delete the contents on the iPhone so that I can sync it with the new one. Which then brings me to my next question.....What the hell is the point of authorizing computers, besides for the store or is that all it does and if so then hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (long drawn out sigh)
Enigmus333- Apr 9, 2010 01:34AM
oh and I just sent this into the iTunes feedback I think you will all get a kick out of it.

Before I begin let me just say that I know that you all probably get feedback that is negative, although this one is no different, I can assure you that I still feel your pain in having to read thousands of these things. That being said you now know that I took the time to write about this because it is in fact, that annoying.

Okay, I F&#&^@ING HATE the way you have to sync the iPhone/iPod to your computer in that, it will erase all of your music or files when syncing. Now normally I would agree with what you are trying to accomplish. You are trying to protect us in the event that our iPhone/iPod is stolen or that the songs/files on said device is illegal. Okay, sure, why not, the problem is that when the songs aren't pirated or the iPhone/iPod isn't stolen guess what....!? It will still erase the ENTIRE LIBRARY. Now I thought to myself, why would you need to AUTHORIZE ehm ehm cough hint(authorize) your own computer or even a new computer that you had to go buy (because your old computer died, or blew up due to frustration with iTunes, either or) and then had to RE-AUTHORIZE (oh by the way using up another 1 out of 5 available computers to authorize) to be able to sync music/files/whatever it is. Only to see the wonderful message that all of my songs that took me hours to either find or buy or otherwise accrue throughout my life only to have erased by my iTunes library, which by the way.... DOESN'T HAVE A BLESSED SONG IN. Now, I thought there has to be a way where I can easily put my "own" songs onto my "own" device without having to erase the songs which are mine? or are they mine I don't know iTunes, why don't you tell me. Basically guys I just want to be able to put my own damn product onto the device I paid you bastards $300 dollars(I know I put the $ sign before the 300, saying Dollars after makes it sound more dramatic.) for. Now I know you all have to deal with licensing laws and by-laws and God knows what else the government has up our ass but at least, at least. Let me be able to transfer files in a way that doesn't make me want to strangle kittens. If you can do that you may find yourself saying, "Wow Windows 7 may not have been my idea, but at least I can drag and drop."
Answer
+0
moins plus
No, the problem is we are being locked out of out own songs... as in there grey coloured and u cant even click on them too play as well!!!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Answer
+69
moins plus
When I got a new computer I also had this problem.
I was too scared to connect my i-pod to i-tunes, because it often starts syncing before you have a chance to turn automatic sync off!
I found a piece of open software called "sharepod" which is easily downloaded from the internet. It's free, legal and malware free- the author requests that anyone who is impressed with it, offer a donation. There's plenty of clear information about how to use it on the sharepod website. Just make sure you close i-tunes if it tries to start up when you connect your ipod!
It's not necessarily a 5 min affair, but it's not incredibly time-consuming either. Sharepod will transfer your music files from an ipod to a computer. Then you need to import those files to i-tunes.
The good thing is, if i-tunes wipes your i-pod, the files are there on your computer - safe and sound!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Still won't work

Answer
+0
moins plus
if you do lose your songs, you can pull up your purchase history in itunes and email them with the order numbers, they will re-download everything you purchased however what you put on there from cd's or other ways, they cannot replace. :-/ also, itunes will only do this for you once and they are a pita to get a hold of however if you do, they are very nice and understanding.
hope that helped

Answer
+1176
moins plus
I had the same problem, so when your on the option (Device) go to iPod options and have everything unchecked but Manually manage music and videos
Now you can drag all music and videos over to your iPod
This will stop you from being able to sync you iPod from each computer unless you transfer all you stuff to one computer

Answer
+0
moins plus
go to your tabs and choose manually manage music and videos

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Itunes wants to delete all my songs » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.