How to make a cell change colour

Closed
SirMinstral - Jun 1, 2009 at 02:06 PM
 Jay - Oct 20, 2010 at 07:23 AM
Hello,
i am trying to make a money sheet on excel to sort out my money.

i already have the basice sheet made and i have a sum in the box i want to use. i want to keep the same sum in the cell but i also want to add another to make the cell change colour to green if the amount is above 0 and red if the number turns into a negative below 0

can anyone advise me on this

5 responses

Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 307
Jun 2, 2009 at 04:33 AM
Hi
Use 'conditional formatting' and in that
add one condition with cell background colour as red and the formula =CellAddress<0
add another condition with cell background colour as green and the formula =CellAddress>0
Firstly unprotect sheet under tools (if protected). The only way i know how to do this is by applying one cell at the top of the screen first with the following formula applied =TODAY(). This cell will the update daily. Maybe put a bold outline on this box and label it in the cell to the left or right 'todays date'.
Now click on the cell with the date of your meeting, reminder etc.
Now go to Format - Conditional Formatting.
You now have up to 3 conditions that you can apply to a cell. There are various options available (colours, fonts, patterns etc) under various conditions (cell value is greater than, less than, equal to etc).
In the first condition select 'cell value is' - 'greater than' - now type in the grid reference of the cell with todays date followed by the subtraction of the number of days you desire before it changes colour. Example below...
=$A$1-5.
This would then change to your chosen colour 5 days prior to the date.
Now assign the necessary colour you wish it to change to under 'format' - colour' and repeat again for further conditions.
It took me a while to work this one out hope it helps you. Any further advice let me know.
Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 307
Oct 5, 2009 at 06:39 AM
Check the link below to study how to do conditional formatting
https://www.contextures.com/xlcondformat01.html
lab79 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday September 29, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 29, 2010 8
Sep 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM
i have had a look at a number of conditional formatting options but can't seem to find what i am trying to do.

i want to change the cell colour of a date as a reminder that that date is important. For example 2 days before the cell date i want it to be orange and then 1 day before the date i want it to turn red.

Is this possible and can anyone help me??

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
exactly how do you do this? I'm trying to do the same thing but am a Excel noob. Where do I set these conditions and how do I set the condition with the background color change? Thanks.