A virus infected flash drive can definitely create trouble. It is possible a virus in the flash drive could alters the names of the files to shortcuts. In this condition it becomes difficult to view files even after the virus is eradicated. This problem can still be tackled. If the flash drive is not formatted, then files must have been stored in the hardware in hidden mode. To retrieve the file, the correct procedures must be followed.
Files on flash drive changed to shortcuts
I caught a virus
on my flash drive at work and it appears to have changed all my file names to short cuts. I believe I've cleaned the virus but how do i get my files back so that I can view them?
If you didn't format your flashdrive, check whether the files are in hidden mode. Then follow these steps:
- Click on the link below and download the file "AutorunExterminator":
- Extract it: Double-click on "AutorunExterminator"
- Plug your pendrive now
- This will remove the autorun.inf files from your pendrive and also from the drives
- Click on Start > Run, type cmd and click OK
- Here it is assumed your pendrive letter is G (change as necessary)
- Enter this command.
- Press Enter
- Now check for your files in on the pen drive
- Now download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from this link: http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-105-malwarebytes-anti-malware
- Update it and perform a "Full Scan"
- Note : The default selected option is "Quick Scan"
Solve by jack4rall
In the same category
Published by aakai1056
. - Latest update by Jeff