Virtual Private Network
or VPN as it is commonly known, is a network where multiple PCs
can be connected remotely via the internet . VPN can be used to share and view data, share applications, share desktops or to play games between multiple remote PCs
. There are special softwares like Hamachi
which can help users set up the network. Here the users can name the network as per their needs and preferences, and set a password as well. To connect with friends they must know the name and the password
of the VPN network.
Connecting two remote PCs via internet by creating a VPN
If you want to share documents or perform network gaming remotely via the internet, as if you were on your local network, simply create a virtual private network (VPN).
A virtual private network is called virtual because it connects two "physical" (LAN) networks via an unreliable connection (internet), and only private computers belonging to the local networks on both sides of the VPN can see the data circulating on the network.
The establishment of a business virtual private network is quite complicated because it requires good knowledge on the functioning of networks. However, it is possible to set up a VPN easily using simple tools:
- Using the features of Windows (XP/2003/Vista)
- Using special software
VPN in Windows XP
To set up a VPN on Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server or Windows Vista:
Installing a VPN under XP
Create a VPN with Hamachi
The software Hamachi allows you to create a virtual private network, without any prior knowledge.
Create a network
To create a virtual private network with Hamachi:
- Download Hamachi
- Launch Hamachi.
- In the taskbar (notification area to the left of the clock), double-click on the icon of the software to display it in the interface.
- Click on the connect button on the bottom left to connect to the Hamachi network.
- A window will ask you to create a user account: enter a nickname and confirm.
- Click on the green triangle icon.
- In the menu, choose Create a network and provide a name and password to the network.
- Click Create.
- The network should then appear in the Hamachi window.
- For your friends to join your network, simply contact them on your network name and password.
- Then, after they have downloaded, installed and run Hamachi, they must click on the triangle icon and choose "Join a network" option.
- You now have a virtual private network!
Published by jak58
- Latest update by Virginia Parsons