Toshiba laptops do not ship with a recovery CD. Instead, manufacturers have created a hidden partition
in the hard drive that contains the operating system and hardware
device drivers which are required to reset a Toshiba laptop to factory settings
. A recovery CD can be created or burned from the contents of the hidden partition. To reset a Toshiba laptop to factory settings
from the hidden partition, press on the zero key when turning on the laptop computer. To reset Toshiba laptop
using the recovery disc, insert it into the DVD ROM drive, change the settings in the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD and restart the system.
Toshiba Laptop - Reset to factory settings
I want to reset my Toshiba Satellite l300 laptop to factory settings. My OS is Windows Vista.
Method: Using the Recovery partition
Toshiba laptops from mid-2007 onwards don't have a recovery disc supplied with the laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the same files as a recovery CD/DVD.
To restore your laptop to its factory settings, follow these steps:
All data on the hard drive will be erased. Back up any important data before proceeding. Make sure the computer is connected to a power supply and do not switch it off or restart during the process.
- 1) Hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine
- Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.
- 2) Press and hold the zero key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook
- 3) When the machine starts beeping, release the zero key
- 4) When prompted by the warning screen, select Yes to continue with the system recovery
- 5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next
- 6) Select Recover to out-of-box state and Click Next again
- 7) Click Next to Start the recovery
Method : Using the Recovery Discs
If the above method doesn't work try this one:
These instructions are for machines running Windows Vista.
- Click on Start
- Type Toshiba Recovery
- You should have this option displayed above the search bar: Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator
- Double click on it
- Click on the Create button and the program will prompt you to insert your blank DVD
- Click on OK and follow the procedure
- Once the first disc (DVD1) is burnt, you will be ask to insert the second one
- Once the discs have been created, restart your PC with DVD 1 inserted
- If you have correctly changed the boot sequence, you should get 2 options:
- Start Windows normally.
- Perform a System restore.
- Opt for the latter and follow the on screen instructions to return your PC to its original state
Thanks to Larry2488
for this tip on the forum.
In the same category
Original article published by spe2d
. Translated by aakai1056
. - Latest update by Jeff