Here is how you can remove or uninstall write protection on pen drive. This is a common problem faced by most users.
Often an error occurs while copying, deleting or modifying data or files for the USB. This happens because it is 'Write-Protected'. Here is a solution to the problem of the USB being write-protected. Follow the steps mentioned in this article to enable the modification, copying or deleting of files from the USB thereafter.
Remove write protection from a USB key via the the Registry
This a very common problem when using USB flash drives. Sometimes when you try to copy or delete files you get an error message "Remove the write-protection or use another disk". Furthermore, it won't allow you to format it!
To remove write protection:
- Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.
- Navigate to the following path:
- Double click the key WriteProtect in the right pane and set the value to 0
- In the Data Value Box, press OK
- Exit Registry, restart your computer and then re-connect your USB pen drive to your computer.
In the same category
Published by netty5
- Latest update by jak58