Here, we discuss the topic of partition recovery on Windows 7. We are briefed on how to prepare the hard disk, copy files and prepare the partition in order to make it portable.
The article offers tips for recovering the partition. All the requirements to carry out the process are discussed: a functional PC, a blank hard disk and a Windows 7 DVD. The article also informs the user that this trick has been verified using the full version and the Home premium 7.7600 RTM version of Windows.
After some testing with Windows 7, a hidden partition can be created, providing access to all repair tools and the ability to completely reinstall the system, thus removing the need for a DVD or USB key.
To begin with, you'll need:
- A functional PC,
- A blank hard disk, (which will be used to house the recovery partition),
- Your Windows 7 DVD (or ISO file to extract the content).
Preparation of hard disk
The disk drive must be partitioned into two. Consider a partition of about 3.5G at the beginning of the disk, so that this partition can contain all the files from the DVD and one for the system partition.
Once the partitions of 3GB to 4GB are created, copy the entire DVD onto this partition and make it bootable.
Preparing the partition to make it bootable
Open the command prompt and run this:
bootsect /nt60 X:
(x being your partition)
A message "boot code was successfully updated on all targeted volumes"
Check the partition is marked "active" in disk management.
If necessary, right click on the partition and mark it as "active".
Mount the HDD in the PC, and boot.
- The PC will automatically launch the installer from the partition and add the entry "Windows setup" into the entries in bcd (there is no need to use third party software to edit the boot entries).
- Everything else will be done automatically!
- You now have a PC with a recovery partition that allows you to reinstall new Windows 7 in case of any problems.
This tip has been created and verified using the full version and Windows Home Premium 7.7600 RTM
In the same category
Published by jak58
. - Latest update by Jeff