Choosing the best WiFi channel
is necessary for optimum performance when connected to a wireless network. When selecting a WiFi channel
number, it is important to know the channel number used by the access point as all components of the network have to be on the same channel. There are softwares available that can retrieve the channel numbers being used by the access point. Check for the channel number that is least frequently used and adjust the WiFi channel on the computer
using Windows Network and Sharing Center. Choosing the best WiFi channel
is simple, and helps to increase performance.
What are WiFi channels?
WiFi is a wireless network technology that uses a specific range of frequencies to limit the interference from other equipment.
Here is the list of channels (and frequencies) of the ISM
(industrial, scientific and medical band) (2.4 GHz) used in the WiFi technology:
Channel 1: 2.412 MHz
Channel 2: 2.417 MHz
Channel 3: 2.422 Mhz
Channel 4: 2.427 Mhz
Channel 5: 2.432 Mhz
Channel 6: 2.437 Mhz
Channel 7: 2.442 Mhz
Channel 8: 2.447 Mhz
Channel 9: 2.452 Mhz
Channel 10: 2.457 MHz
Channel 11: 2.462 MHz
Channel 12: 2.467 MHz
Channel 13: 2.472 MHz
Channel 14: 2.484 MHz
Selecting a WiFi channel
To be able to communicate with each other, all the components of a WiFi network must use the same channel. A WiFi network in infrastructure mode (using an access point),the channel used will be the one configured access point. However, most people use the default channel. Multiple networks sharing the same bandwidth, in the same area, can lead to several problems.
- For best results, you should configure your access point and clients to make use of the least used channel in your area.
- To do this, you can use software such as NetStumbler, which will list the neighbourhood WiFi networks and channels used. Note the channels most frequently used and select one of the least used channels.
- Another software : inSSIDer for Home
Adjusting your WiFi channel
- Click on the Network icon and select "Network and Sharing Center"
- Go to Manage network connections
- Right-click the Wireless connection and choose Configure
- Go to the Advanced tab, then choose " WZC IBSS channel number" or "channel number" (or another similar option)
- Select your channel.
In the same category
Original article published by .:Goox:.
. Translated by jak58