GTA (Grand Theft Auto) may display errors after installation because not all systems meet the high standards for this game. Some effects, like raining in the game, can make play suffer. Memory, graphics card and processor requirements must be met, having minimum 256MB ATI X1900 to 512MB ATI 3870 graphics which is the official configuration required. To enjoy uninterrupted GTA (Grand Theft Auto), ensure the official system requirements are set to minimum. HD game play without errors will need HD 4870, Quad cores and 4GB memory. If this does not work then Windows and graphics driver updates are compulsory. Manage all 3D settings including filtering and buffering from NVidia CP.
Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA4) - Bugs
- For many people, the game doesn't start after installation. In most cases, it's due to the power of the computer itself:
- This game requires high standards
Minimum official requirements
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
- Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB of hard disk space
- Graphics Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900
- Otherwise gameplay will suffer, especially when it rains in the game
- All of the options must be set to minimum.
Officially Recommended configurations
Gameplay will still be of a satisfactory standard:
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz
- Memory: 2GB (Windows XP) 2.5GB (Windows Vista), 18GB of hard disk space
- Graphics Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870
- To play in HD without lags use (1920 * 1080)
- Quad cores and a 2.66 GTX 280 or HD 4870 and 4GB of ram are required
- Your configuration is good enough and it still doesn't start?
- Then you must install Service Pack 3 for XP and Vista SP1, and get your graphics drivers up to date.
Slow downs while running the game
It your hardware configuration meets the minimum specifications, but still you are experiencing serious slowdowns, then try the following:
- Go to The NVidia Control Panel and go to Manage 3D settings
- Then turn Anisotrophic Filtering OFF and set Antialiasing Transparency to Multi Sampling
- Antialiasing Setting to 2x
- Texture Filtering Quality to High Performance
- Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimisation to ON
- Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias to ALLOW
- Threaded Optimisation ON
- Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering ON
Setting the compatibility with Vista
For Vista users, you must set the compatibility:
- 1. Right-click on the icon of the game (the executable), then click "Properties"
- 2. Click on the "Compatibility" tab
- 3. Click to activate the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for", then select "Windows XP". If it asks you to install the service pack 3, check "Windows 2000" in the list
- 4. Click "OK"
It only remains for you to install the patch (v 184.108.40.206)
which also fixes crashes.
This should fix the problem.
- GTA4 still regularly freezes, but we are still awaiting the following patch, which should also correct some of the bugs for visual texture flashing and people who fly.
- A new patch GTA4 (version 220.127.116.11) is available, but for most system configuration, it gives a "fatal error", followed by a blue screen (reboot required).
You can give this a try if you like, but if there is an error in the installation, use the version 18.104.22.168.
- Finally, with regards to the Nvidia, the 182.xx drivers are less effective in the game than the 180.xx, despite the fact they are 'recommended'!
- The patch v22.214.171.124 (latest released) seems to improve the management of system resources used by the operating system detected. This patch is available here.
Published by jak58
- Latest update by Jeff