The Blue Screen Of Death or BSOD
is perhaps the greatest malaise in the Windows operating system. It indicates a system crash. While most users will promptly press the restart button, the blue screen of death
provides vital information relating to the nature of the problem. The purpose of this article is to help novice users to understand the error codes displayed during a BSOD.
Blue screen of death
When your computer encounters serious problem it will do one of the following:
- Display a blue screen (stop error) which provide information about the nature of the problem.
In some situations BSODs are followed by the immediate reboot of the system and you don't have the time to identify the cause of the error. You can use BlueScreenView
to view the BSOD logs.
Some errors can be easily identified and solved!
Hardware issues leading to BSODs
Software problems, drivers, malwares....
- Uninstall any a new software or drivers ...before re-installing them, make sure that they are compatible with your system.
- If the blue screen is displayed at the beginning of your session:
- Boot in Safe Mode and try to restore your system.
- Diagnostic softwares such as WhoCrashed, BlueScreenView, AppCrashView allows you to identify the driver causing the crash.
The Windows Event Viewer
Windows keeps tracks of the hardware, software and system errors in the Event Viewer.
- Three types of logs exist: the application log, security log and the system log.
- To access these logs:
- Open the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
The error codes
The error code is displayed just after the words "SOP error"
- For example:"0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x01C010101, Ox00000000)"
IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL 0x0000000A (address, address, address) or (0x804ECD70 ...)
Boot in Safe Mode, click Start > Run> msconfig
> System.ini. Disable the command for 16-bit
Stop 0x0000000A Usbport.sys
Update the operating system
via Windows update.
Stop 0x000000A0 or Stop 0xA0 or INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
If the message appears during standby, install the latest service pack for Windows.
Stop 0x000000A5 or Stop 0xA5 or ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
Installing Windows on a computer whose BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant.
This indicates a problem concerning the graphics card
Try to update the driver with either Windows Update, or directly on the manufacturer's website.
Stop 0x0000001E or Stop 0x1E or KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED:
Indicates a software incompatibility
STOP: 0x00000023 FAT_FILE_SYSTEM
- Corrupted file system. Run the Chkdsk /f /r to fix this issue.
Stop 0x00000024 or Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
- 1) Go to Recovery Console.
- 2) Type chkdsk c: / p / r, to correct errors in the discs.
- or Stop 0xc0000221 Unable to Load Device Driver
- or STOP: 0xc000026C [Unable to load device driver] + DriverName
- or STOP: 0xc0000221 [Unable to load device driver] + DriverName
- or STOP: 0xc0000221.
A device driver file (.sys) is missing or damaged.
Stop 0x00000050 or Stop 0x50 or PAGE_FAULT_NONPAGED_AREA:
- Program or driver is not compatible with the version of Windows.
STOP 0x0000008e STOP 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA:
The Setupdd.sys file could not be loaded or is damaged
STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
- Indicates a problem with the RAM or video card driver
Stop 0x00000074 BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO:
- RAM issue. Run a test with Memtest.
Stop 0x00000077 KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR at startup
Paged data missing from the pagefile. The last line of code can tell you more precisely about the nature of the problem:
- 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A: Bad sector
- 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185: Problem relating to the HDD.
Open the Recovery Console and run a check disk (CHKDSK command c: / p / r)
This error may also involve the motherboard or a faulty memory module. You can always disable the system cache in the BIOS to determine if the problem comes from the motherboard, and test the RAM with MemTest.
Stop 0x0000007A or Stop 0x7A or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
This error indicates that a page could not be found in virtual memory. This may be due to a hardware problem.
Stop 0x0000007B or Stop 0x7B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Fix the boot using the command "FIXBOOT" in the Recovery Console
Stop 0x0000007E or Stop 0x7E or SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Locate the program using the file 'XXXX.sys' and uninstall it.
STOP: 0x0000007E Usbhub.sys
This means that the bandwidth
of all your devices is greater than the maximum allowed. Install the KB822308 hotfix from Microsoft.
STOP: 0x0000007E (address, address, address) SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
If the error occurs after updating Windows XP, there could be several causes:
- BIOS update
- RAM issue
- An incompatible driver
- The Win32k.sys error indicates an incompatible third party program.
STOP: 0x0000007E Ndis.sys
- Update the driver of your graphics card.
Stop 0x0000007F or Stop 0x7F UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
- Processor is overheating
- If it is a hardware problem, try updating the BIOS of your computer.
Stop 0x0000008E or Stop 0x8E or KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
An update of the operating system is required.
STOP: 0x1000008E In EMUPIA2K.SYS "KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
- The device driver is not compatible.
STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
- STOP 0x0000008E (0x00000005, address, address) win32k.sys Address BF800000 base at BF873A32, or datestamp 3d6de5e5
- STOP: 0x0000008E Win 32k.sys
- The contents of the error report: c: windowsMinidumpMini070403-01.dmp or problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PFN-LIST-CORRUPT Technical information: STOP: 0x00008E (0xc0000005, 0xXXXXXXX, 0xXXXXXXX, 0x00000000)
- Win32k.sys - Address BF800000 base at BFXXXXXX DateStamp XXXXXXXX beginning dump of physical memory.
- Incompatibility between the motherboard and CPU. If this problem occurs at start up, a BIOS update should suffice.
Stop 0x0000009C (address, address, address) "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
Hardware problem. Check the fans or clean the various components.
Stop 0x000000BE 0xBE or ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
- This error is usually due to a device driver (update your drivers), a service or incompatible firmware.
Stop 0x000000C2 or Stop 0xC2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER
- Test your RAM with Memtest
- If not, a full disk format and a reinstallation is needed.
- STOP: 0x000000C2 problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. BAD_POOL_CALLER,
- Update your graphics card driver
Stop 0x000000D1 or Stop 0xD1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OU_EQUAL
- A driver is using an incorrect address. Note that the driver responsible for this problem is stated in the error message.
Stop 0x000000EA or Stop 0xEA or THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
- Update of the driver for your graphics card.
In the same category
Published by aakai1056
. - Latest update by jak58